Pivot or hook. Or pass. Maybe a jump shot.

Isaiah Hicks thinks about it for a second during this summer practice. Rear end pressed up against the defender, he uses all of his 6-foot-8-inch frame to keep position. And then the defender pulls away.

Timeout. He missed his chance. He hesitated.

“He just needs to relax,” Coach Roy Williams said at ACC media day. “It’s a hard thing for somebody to say, ‘Relax and play harder.’ I mean, they don’t exactly go together.

“Relax and quit thinking — don’t make those silly little mistakes.”

It’s something Hicks has struggled with before. After being named 18th in the 2013 ESPN 100 — ahead of future first round NBA draft picks Tyler Ennis and Zach LaVine — Hicks arrived in Chapel Hill to unrealistic expectations. Amid P.J. Hairston’s suspension, Hicks was supposed to fill the void.

He didn’t. In fact, Hicks did the opposite. With Hairston’s absence and James Michael McAdoo’s presence at power forward, Hicks was forced out to the wing.

Uncomfortable shooting from deep but never given a chance in the post, Hicks looked lost for most of 2013-14. The Oxford native — a five-star recruit and the 2013 Associated Press North Carolina Player of the Year — averaged a meager 1.2 points per game in just 7.3 minutes per contest.

But then came the off-season. McAdoo’s departure for the NBA draft effectively dubbed Brice Johnson the new starting power forward for the North Carolina men’s basketball team. It also left the sixth man job up for grabs.

Hicks made his best case over the summer. Back at power forward, he once again began bullying defenders, just as he had in high school.

“(Being aggressive) is something coach always talked to me about,” Hicks said. “Coach says, ‘You’ve got to fit in the post, score — that’s what you want the big men to do.’”

To date, the switch has paid off. In UNC’s first two exhibition games, Hicks has missed just one of his 14 shots en route to a combined 27 points.

“He’s a lot more comfortable with his play than he was when he was beating himself up,” Johnson said.

His performances against Fayetteville State and Belmont Abbey haven’t clinched the sixth man spot yet. And while he likely will, his coach isn’t ready to crown him just yet.

“I don’t know that he’s gonna be the best player tomorrow,” Williams said.

But the rest of the season?

“I think he’ll be better.”

No hesitation.