Letter: ?Scandal the result of ‘perfect storm’

It is long past time to move forward. The academic integrity of our University was severely damaged by a pro-active administrative assistant who effectively appointed herself as a faculty member. Her activities were enabled by a corrupt department chair, whose chairmanship continued too long due to negligent oversight by administrators in the College of Arts and Sciences. It was a perfect storm.

The facts support that our scandal was an academic one, first and foremost. It is indeed a deeply disappointing chapter in our history. As a scandal-weary faculty member, the second-most disappointing aspect of our current situation is the continued divisive pontifications of a select group of elitist colleagues. Everyone should have a voice, but this group has more than had its say, even if the press continues to shine the limelight.

It is time to stop the destructive bantering about our athletes, our Faculty Athletic Committee members, our leaders and others taking on the hard job of charting a path forward. These workers need the time, energy, and focus to thoughtfully attack the underlying problems and get it right. Our future depends on it.

Prof. Cindy Schauer

Department of Chemistry