Marcus Paige will have help carrying the load this season

Marcus Paige was selected as the preseason ACC player of the year at the conference’s annual media day Oct. 29. Paige led the Tar Heels during the 2013-14 season with 17.5 points a game.

It’s been roaming for a while now. At least since 8:58 p.m. on March 24, the night he told the world via Twitter that he’d suit up for his junior season at North Carolina.

When he’s not thinking about Poli 101: State and Local Government or fixated on his next pass in FIFA 15, Marcus begins to daydream.

It’s here when Paige’s imagination gets the best of him, daring him to answer his own questions about what could be.

“I find myself thinking about the end of ACC play and March and the tournament all the time,” he said. “It’s hard not to think about the potential of the team, especially because we’re a team that hasn’t accomplished things that a normal, typical North Carolina group of players would accomplish.”

The team? Maybe not. Paige himself? Now that’s a different story.

The Marion, Iowa-native has meticulously refined his craft since he was old enough to understand grown-up talk at the dinner table.

“He’s kind of come from a coaching family. His mom coached in a state championship game in Iowa. So he sat at the table and listened to all the coach talk,” North Carolina men’s basketball coach Roy Williams said. “He sat there and listened to people talk about individuals doing the best you can do. And yet he sat there and listened to them about how what the team does is most important. He understands that.”

Now as a junior, coming off of a breakout sophomore campaign that saw him average a team-high 17.5 points per game and rack up myriad awards, it’s Paige’s duty to pass this same message along to his teammates.

Last season, it had to be all about him. Now that’s not the case.

“I don’t think the team’s going to have to rely on me as much this year,” said the ACC’s Preseason Player of the Year in October. “I do need to be productive and one of the lead guys on the team. But I don’t think I have to give them as much as I did last year.”

Maybe he’s right — maybe he won’t have to. Justin Jackson, Kennedy Meeks, Brice Johnson and J.P. Tokoto, Paige’s anticipated fellow starters, have shown they’re capable of lightening his load. Through two exhibition games, Paige is averaging just 15.5 minutes per game, a far cry from the 35.6 he gave in 2013-14. Against Belmont Abbey, Paige totaled a mere nine points, the second lowest total amongst UNC starters.

“I mean Marcus has proved himself at the end of games,” said Johnson, Paige’s roommate and teammate. “We just have to find somebody else that can do it, too.

“This year we’re just going to have to see what close games we get to and see who’s going to step up if it’s not him.”

Who will it be? That’s still an unknown.

But for Williams, one thing remains certain.

“If they’re all like Marcus, I would pay our administration to let me coach instead of them pay me,” he said.

“Nobody’s perfect. But he’s darn near perfect.”