Tar Heels putting on the ‘big boy pads’ for Saturday's game against Pittsburgh

Senior safety Tim Scott (7) is second on the team with 54 tackles.

“At the beginning of last week, we just said, ‘This is a repeat of last year with Boston College,’” Scott said. “You know they had Andre Williams, and he was just the back that we knew he was gonna get the ball every play.”

Pitt does the same thing with 6-foot-2, 250-pound Conner, who brings a frame and ground attack very similar to what the 6-foot, 227-pound Williams brought to Kenan Memorial Stadium in 2013.

Last season, Williams — who was drafted by the New York Giants in the 4th round of the 2014 NFL Draft — came in to Chapel Hill as the leading rusher in the conference. He ran for 172 yards against the Tar Heels, which included a 56-yard score. Still, UNC came away with a 34-10 victory.

This year, Conner comes into the game against UNC as the leading rusher in the conference as well, and the team is hoping they will get a result similar to Williams and Boston College. But they realize that stopping Conner completely could be impossible.

“You watch it on film and it’s scary because he’s done it against everybody they’ve played,” said Coach Larry Fedora. “They pride themselves on what they’re doing, so that’s what they’re going to hang their hat on, and we’ve got to do everything we can to slow ’em down.”

Defensive coordinator Vic Koenning said the team did make adjustments for Pitt’s offense but couldn’t mix the system up so much as to confuse his young defense.

“We’re trying to kind of stay within the framework of our stuff,” Koenning said. “But you know, in all honesty, we had lengthy talks that first Sunday after Miami ... I mean there wasn’t an answer. There were some ideas and suggestions, but there wasn’t an answer.

“So we’ve tried to match what we do as best we can to what they’re going to do.”

No team has found an answer for Conner and the Pitt running game this season. He’s averaged 6.1 yards per carry while scoring 17 rushing touchdowns. Much of that stems from the size of his offensive line.

“Their smallest guy up there is 305 pounds maybe,” Fedora said. “They gotta couple of 325s, 315s — they’re big up front. Then your tight ends are 260 to 270, fullback’s 270 and Conner’s 250.

“That’s a lot of meat up there now. A lot of meat. And they’re going to come off the ball and try to mash ya.”

For Scott, that means he might have to come down and help the run defense more than he normally does. At the same time, the threat of Pitt’s Tyler Boyd — who has 791 receiving yards and five touchdowns this year — out wide means he can’t overcommit in run support.

So the defense is going to have to buckle down and toss missed tackles and failed assignments out of the window.

Scott puts it another way.

“We’re just going to have to buckle down and put our big boy pads on.”