Downtown tree lighting kicks off holiday season

Carolers sing in front of the tree at the annual Downtown Tree Lighting Ceremony in the Memorial Garden outside University Baptist Church on Sunday evening. People of all ages came to sing carols, take pictures with Santa Clause, and look at the tree to kick off the Holiday season.

The Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership and University Baptist Church coordinated for the eighth year to bring the town a free, family-friendly event that doubled as a fundraiser for the International Justice Mission’s human rights advocacy work.

As soon as the clock hit 6 p.m., town officials hit the switch and energy-efficient Carolina Blue lights brightened up the tree.

“It’s all about lighting the tree and singing some songs,” said Meg McGurk, executive director of the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership. “It’s a great way to start off the holiday season for the whole community.”

Children ran around the 25-foot-tall tree with excitement as their parents and siblings sipped hot chocolate and sang along with the University Baptist choir.

Assisted by the free parking offered on Sundays in Chapel Hill, the event attracted a crowd that filled the Memorial Garden at the church to the edges of Columbia Street.

McGurk said the Memorial Garden was a great place to hold the event and that she’s glad the church partners with the town each year.

“The church is the heart and soul of downtown,” McGurk said. “It’s a great space where people love to run around and play.”

Children volunteering for the church sold hot chocolate and homemade treats behind the tree to raise money for the International Justice Mission.

Allison James, the director of children’s ministry at University Baptist Church, said the mission is a faith-based organization that works to free modern-day slaves and end human trafficking.

“The church has been supporting the cause for eight years now,” James said. “As the children’s minister here, I personally teach the children about how to end modern-day slavery.”

James said the church hosts a justice camp each year to teach children about activism to fight human trafficking.

University Baptist’s mission statement stresses that the congregation must gather as a community of faith in order to give time, gifts and material resources to sustain one another.

“All of the cookies are homemade,” James said. “The kids will make things at home and bring them to the event to sell for donations.”

With each homemade treat bought, the volunteers passed out cards from the International Justice Mission thanking the purchasers for their support.

In addition to the holiday refreshments, Santa and Mrs. Claus posed for pictures with children and gave warm greetings to the town residents throughout the event.

Barbara Keighton was at the tree lighting with her daughter Renee, who was eating a piece of a gingerbread house her mother had just bought.

With gingerbread in her mouth, Renee said her favorite part of the event was when Santa and Mrs. Claus gave her a candy cane to take home.