Tri-annual book sale raises money for Chapel Hill Public Library

Courtesy of the Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library.

This weekend, Triangle residents can stock up for a holiday filled with literary adventure at a very low cost.

From Friday to Sunday, the Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library are hosting the tri-annual Big Book Sale at the Chapel Hill Public Library.

Martha Brunstein, president of the Friends, said this is the library’s biggest sale yet and is twice the size of their normal sales. She said more than 20,000 books are available, ranging from cookbooks to children’s books and from philosophy to business. The sale also includes CDs and DVDs, she said.

“You name it, and we’ve got it,” Brunstein said.

Friday’s sale is offered for Friends members only, but memberships can be purchased at the door and range from $10 for students to $35 for families. 

The sale opens to the general public on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and prices range from 50 cents to three dollars.

Sunday’s sale features the Bag Sale, where shoppers can fill a bag with books for only five dollars.

Brunstein said since the library’s renovations were completed in April 2013, the book sale experience has completely transformed. 

“In the old days, when we were in the old building, the book sale used to be downstairs, and there would be books on the floor and on boxes,” she said.

“Now we have all these great, lovely rooms with windows and three times the space we used to have.”

Brunstein said she calls this book sale the ultimate recycle.

“People give us the books and we put them in the hands of other people,” she said. “It’s a way to recycle knowledge, adventure and imagination.”

Junior communication studies and studio art major Jake Matthai said he'd like to go to the Big Book Sale.

"I'm really interested in fiction and history and books that have a good story," he said.

Ecology graduate student Brian Evans said he would consider going.

"I imagine it would be a good opportunity to buy Christmas presents."

Susan Brown, director of the Chapel Hill Public Library, said the money earned from the Big Book Sale all goes back to the library. 

“The funds are there to make our collection services awesome,” Brown said. “It provides the icing on the cake for these services.”

Brown said some of the programs funded by the event include the library's summer and winter reading programs, the family movie matinee and the Friends’ Bookshelf. 

Brunstein said this event is great for people who enjoy reading and is also an opportunity to find Christmas presents at a very low price.

Brown said she recommends this event for budget-minded people.

“If you’re a book nerd or a book junkie, this is a great way to fill shelves for cheap and also a good way to support a great cause.”