AJ Hicks provides energy for track and field teams

The North Carolina men's and women’s indoor track teams began the season Friday with an all-around impressive showing in the Gene Anderson Invitational. And one athlete’s performance in particular set the tone.

The men's weight throw opened the event, and redshirt junior AJ Hicks scored a personal record on his very first attempt. His toss of 20.98 meters was .43 meters better than his previous record and one of the longest throws in the country this season.

Coach Harlis Meaders viewed Hicks’ throw as a sign of good things to come.

“The good news is I don’t think they were really technically sound throws and I think there’s a lot more to come once we get into competition shape so he can control the nerves a little bit,” Meaders said. “I think he’s gonna have a really good stretch.”

Hicks, who graded the throw as just a little above average, said he will watch tapes of himself and practice his mechanics in order to improve on his already notable record. And he’s not shying away from lofty personal goals for the season, including the school record of 22.25 meters.

“My primary goal is to qualify for nationals and win the ACCs and set the school record along the way,” he said. “(The school record) is definitely attainable.”

Hicks' toss would have qualified him for the NCAA Indoor Championships in 2014.

But Hicks wasn't the only one who caught Meaders’ eye. Redshirt sophomore Paul Haley won the men's high jump with a personal record of 2.03 meters, and redshirt sophomore Tory Kemp took first place in the women's high jump with a 1.81-meter jump.  

Meaders said he was excited about seeing some of the members of the strong freshman class compete. He said a number of freshmen on the women's team ran well in their first collegiate track event.

“Those girls were anxious to get started,” Meaders said. “I think in their debuts they learned a lot from this week that they can apply to next week.”

Freshman Hannah Christen was one of the female runners who won her event. Her 5:10.68 finish in the one-mile run was her first collegiate win.

“It’s just a different environment, but it was really cool to win. I wasn’t expecting it,” Christen said. “I was just trying to race.”

Christen said she thinks she can help the team this season, even as a freshman.

“I want to qualify for ACCs and events that I can so I can help my team at the championship,” she said.

The Tar Heels had an encouraging performance Friday, but Meaders said he still expects improvement to meet the high expectations that come with being a track and field athlete at UNC.

“We’re always looking to improve our performances,” he said. “What I saw that I really liked was that the kids came out and put on the uniform with purpose and energy.”

And it was Hicks who brought the energy from the first throw.