All up in your business for Jan. 27, 2015

Veggie Van struggles to gauge interest

The Veggie Van will come to a screeching halt in Carrboro if residents fail to express enough interest in the mobile vegetable market.

Veggie Van is a part of the Community Nutrition Partnership organization and travels every week to offer high-quality, local produce at a reduced cost to neighborhoods in Durham and Burlington with limited access to healthy foods. The organization recently conducted a survey to gauge the interest of Carrboro residents.

Gina Tripicchio, site recruitment specialist for Veggie Van, said the program needs 30 positive responses to the survey before it can move forward.

“We are still working with (the Carrboro Recreation and Parks Department) to see if we can get more people before setting it up,” she said. 

Tripicchio said Carrboro Recreation and Parks has been enthusiastic about the program, and the people of Carrboro are always very excited to support local farmers.

“This will really reach a population in Carrboro that may not feel like places like Weaver Street Market are accessible to them for whatever reason,” Tripicchio said.

Bicycle Chain offers classes on upkeep

Avid bicyclists can now become experts on their two-wheeled machinery by enrolling in Bicycle Chain University.

The program includes a curriculum of four bicycle maintenance classes from beginning to advanced levels, hosted by the Bicycle Chain at its Chapel Hill and Carrboro locations.

Evan Menzel, Chapel Hill store manager, said the beginning class is usually the most popular and includes how to remove and install wheels, how to properly lubricate a chain and how to properly inspect tires.

“It’s particularly useful for the students, so that they can understand whether the bikes that they are riding are safe and in good working condition,” Menzel said.

The entry-level class costs $30 while the others cost $40, Menzel said. He said Bicycle Chain University also benefits the town. 

“For the town in general, it basically raises awareness and interest in cycling,” Menzel said. 

“So, hopefully people in the community continue to use biking for alternative transportation or for exercise.”

Drive-thru CVS planned for Rams Plaza

The CVS at Rams Plaza in Chapel Hill might be getting a new home of its own at the corner of Fordham Boulevard and Ephesus Church Road. 

The new location is less than a mile away from its original spot — but instead of being nested in a shopping plaza, the new CVS would stand alone if approved by the Community Design Commission and Chapel Hill Town Council.  It would also include a drive-thru, a rare sight in town limits. 

Dwight Bassett, economic development officer for Chapel Hill, said the move was due to the store’s need to expand. 

The location is within the Ephesus/Fordham district, which is undergoing redevelopment. The town plans to transform the area by creating pedestrian-friendly walkways and mixed-used buildings, Bassett said. 

“The town has an interest in improving the traffic in that area,” Bassett said. “Hopefully we can attract more businesses.”

The new building will include streetscape, sidewalk and storm water renovations.