Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Carrboro Board of Aldermen vote to sell vacant downtown property

Options for the space originally included leasing, selling or assessing the space to accommodate the town’s needs.

Alderwoman Bethany Chaney and Alderman Damon Seils recommended leasing or selling the property altogether.

Chaney said the board has long considered selling the property and should go ahead with the decision.

Alderwoman Jacquelyn Gist reminded the board of the town’s growing need for space despite the unanimous vote to sell the East Main property.

“We’ve talked about town needs for decades — people are on top of each other, and that causes some problems in the workplace, because too many canaries in the cage can cause issues sometimes,” she said.

“We take good care of our employees, but we’re shy about taking care of our own house.”

The board also passed a resolution guaranteeing that immigrant minors who have sought a safe place to attend school in Carrboro will now have access to bilingual resources in those schools.

In November, the board unanimously passed the resolution supporting and welcoming unaccompanied immigrant minors fleeing violence in their home countries, which welcomes immigrant minors seeking refuge in Carrboro and affirms their right to attend public elementary and secondary schools.

“Support of immigrant communities is critical to preserving our legacy as a nation of immigrants,” the resolution stated.

During Tuesday’s meeting, Alderman Sammy Slade proposed that resources available to immigrant minors be provided bilingually, in English and Spanish. The board voted unanimously in favor of Slade’s proposal.

The aldermen also discussed the road closure for the upcoming Not So Normal 5K, 10K and half marathon.

The mission behind the Not So Normal races is to raise as much money for as many nonprofits as possible, all on the local stage, said Jay Radford, race organizer.

The board approved the temporary road closure unanimously, paving the way for Radford’s races to take place May 17.

Radfird said Not So Normal will benefit more than 47 local nonprofits, including the PTA Thrift Shop and Super Cooper’s Little Red Wagon Foundation.

Radford said he is encouraging people to “run local.”

“Everyone is running for something,” Radford said.

“It’ll all stay local, and that will really impact and bring a lot of money to local non-profits.”