FRANK artists celebrate their county

Frank Art Gallery, located on East Franklin St., has a new exhibit called "Local: Inside and Out." This exhibit is a collection of art that shows artists' view of North Carolina and what makes home so special.

As an artist, she likes producing art inspired by memories of growing up in Orange County.

“I grew up in Chapel Hill. My dad was on the faculty in the music department,” Carter said. “When I was building these images, I was trying to bring back all of those memories of the different time periods.”

Carter’s photographs brought Chapel Hill to life in what she calls “The Collective Memory Series,” which will be featured in FRANK Gallery’s latest exhibition, “Local: Inside and Out,” which will run through April 5.

Local artist Sudie Rakusin is part of the collective that organizes all of FRANK’s exhibitions. She said the organization of “Local: Inside and Out” was a process of several months and was inspired by the beauty and nostalgia that Orange County holds.

Rakusin also said that “Local: Inside and Out” will be FRANK’s last themed show before the gallery shifts to featuring specific artists. She believes this is why it is special to highlight local talent in the gallery’s last themed exhibition. Steve Hessler, Henry Link and other FRANK artists have all contributed to the exhibit.

“We want to be connected to the community and one of the ways of being connected is having images on our walls that are local, that people can recognize and feel comfortable with,” Rakusin said.

Alongside local artwork, FRANK Gallery will also present interactive opportunities for the community, including a performance by a Hillsborough band, The Piedmont Regulators, and immersive “Travel Journal” workshops led by local artists.

Matt Singer, banjoist and singer for The Piedmont Regulators, said FRANK gave the band the freedom to play with the idea of what it means to be immersed in home through all of the senses.

“I think we will add a certain excitement to the atmosphere (of the gallery),” Singer said. “We don’t really have a polished feel, but that’s what gives us that sort of down-home feel.”

Rakusin agrees that home is an immersive environment, and that’s what she attempted to create through the “Travel Journal” workshops, in which community members go on excursions with local artists and learn techniques, such as painting or photography.

“It’s nostalgic and it’s memories and it’s home,” Rakusin said. “There’s something special in this art.”

Rakusin and Carter both believe the beauty of Orange County is something to be highlighted and appreciated, both through art and in everyday life.

“It’s a beautiful county when you get out even further and I think there’s a lot of room for magical experience within your memories,” Carter agreed.

“I hope it makes people sort of look again and feel the emotion that you feel in not just the visual, but the emotional pull that our area can have on us. That’s sort of the beginning of a story.”