Letter: ?Israeli-Palestinian conflict is complex

First, let me say that I am not an unabashed supporter of Israel and feel they must change before there is final peace, but to only focus on one side’s faults as others have is counterproductive. I have seen numerous claims of the genocidal, oppressive, apartheid regime in Israel.

Yes, there is a strict blockade on Gaza. Do you know who else blockades Gaza? Egypt. Do you know why? The answer is that even Egypt dealt with the export of weapons and violence from the Gaza Strip prior to its own blockade. When Israel withdrew from Gaza, they did not intend to blockade it, but were forced to by incessant attacks.

The conditions within Gaza are terrible, but when the choices are either to not blockade and suffer attacks or to blockade and limit such attacks, any sane nation will be forced to choose the latter option every time.

In addition, Israel as recently as 2008 offered large territorial concessions, a complete stop to settlement construction, and a safe corridor connecting the West Bank and Gaza. The Palestinian leadership rejected it. 

Let us not place the blame wholly on the Israeli government and people without properly considering the facts on the ground.

Daniel Hawke

Sophomore

Political Science