Opinion: Apartment complexes have a social responsibility to monitor tanning

Since UNC junior Alana Zeitany brought the issue of free tanning beds at apartment complexes to the attention of the Chapel Hill Town Council, debate has emerged regarding whether to regulate them more strictly or even to ban tanning beds from apartment complexes altogether.

At the very least, the town of Chapel Hill should more firmly ensure that all complexes that offer free tanning beds to residents follow all associated rules and adhere to a system like the one in place at Shortbread Lofts.

Shortbread’s policies include making sure that all users sign a form acknowledging they are aware of the risks to their health, tracking each individual’s usage to ensure that it is not excessively dangerous, and verifying that users employ appropriate protective eyewear.

It would also be prudent to require all complexes offering tanning beds to be certified by the state as tanning facilities so that residents and property managers alike are aware of the regulations governing tanning bed usage.

In terms of banning the practice altogether, we recognize that these facilities are located on private property and that use of a tanning bed is by no means an illegal activity.

It remains of paramount importance that tanning bed users stay aware of the dangers and accept the risks involved.

About three-fourths of melanoma cancers among 18- to 29-year-olds are attributed to tanning beds, which are classified as Class I human carcinogens, according to the World Health Organization.

Reasonable restrictions upon access to these facilities would ensure that those who choose to use them do not make that choice lightly.