Opinion: UNC's international profile could be more competitive

It is clear from its mission statement that the University of North Carolina operates in order to better both its students and the state from which it takes its name.

But globalization and statewide shifts in demographics should result in a conversation among students and administrators about ways to increase cultural diversity and diversity of thought on campus.

That’s not to say that everyone on campus thinks the same way or has the same opinion on divisive issues. Just like everywhere else in the U.S., liberals and conservatives at UNC tend to butt heads. But the way these arguments are framed tends to leave out international perspectives.

Sure, students are aware of major international crises that make American headlines, such as the attacks in Paris on Charlie Hebdo. And that’s great — we need to be aware of those kinds of events.

But how many students were aware that the Swiss Central Bank recently unpegged the franc against the euro, which could affect our own economy? Or just the fact that Switzerland uses a franc instead of a euro? Most importantly, do we care to know?

Global economic shake-ups suggest that we should. Both the Research Triangle Park and Charlotte, two likely destinations for UNC grads, have embraced their roles as players on an international stage. As a result, the ability of UNC students to interact and work with people from completely different cultural backgrounds is more important than ever.

UNC does boast some programs that allow students to experience cultures outside of their own, such as the University’s numerous study abroad programs. But what does that say about us that this is an ancillary initiative? Top universities in Europe and elsewhere require a year of study abroad as part of their degree programs.

But in order for every student to gain experience in interacting with people from a different background, and acknowledging the sometimes prohibitive cost of travel, we must discuss how to promote a greater awareness of other cultures on campus.

One option would be to simply accept more international students. International students made up less than 4 percent of fall 2013 enrollments, a number that compares unfavorably with the university’s peer institutions.

Of course, UNC should also ensure such an initiative does not displace underrepresented students from the U.S. — that one form of diversity is not sacrificed for another.

As students, our job should be to engage with international communities already on campus with the goal of making UNC a place known internationally for its welcoming attitude.