Quickhits for Jan. 29, 2014

FOH NCAA

While the implications of UNC’s decades-long tango with scandal are far from behind us, suffice it to say we don’t exactly feel the NCAA possesses the necessary moral high ground to participate in that process. It might remove UNC’s 2005 banner, but you can bet the NCAA won’t be giving up any of its 2005 profits. 

Chi-town on fleek

The explosion of adventurous hip-hop artists coming out of Chicago is a true breath of fresh air. Artists like Chance the Rapper, Jean Deaux and Mick Jenkins are releasing exciting work at a rapid pace. Check out Kaytranada’s and Vic Mensa’s new song “Drive Me Crazy” and smile, because hip-hop’s going good places.

Let it snow

Hey, smug Northerners: We know we can’t drive in the snow. We know we freak out when the forecast calls for freezing rain. It’s more fun that way. And as we found out this week from massive lines at Manhattan grocery stores, bad weather is scary for everyone. So, if we do get snow this year, back off. 

No comment

While we understand the frustration of the sport writers whom the Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch is depriving of money quotes like  “one game at a time” and “grateful to be here,” we find his honesty refreshing. Plus, everyone’s finally paying attention to how awful most sports writers’ interview questions are.    

Ye Olde Internette

We like the way Yosemite, the newest version of Apple’s operating system, looks. We aren’t as pleased with its relationship with UNC-Secure, which, like most college relationships, is best described as on-again, off-again. The best thing that’s come out of this is a newfound reverence for life at UNC in the ‘90s. 

Take our money

College students veer from their thrifty tendencies for two things: alcohol and, as it turns out, massive quantities of Girl Scout Cookies, New Year’s resolutions be damned (Thin Mints turn out to be rather ironically named). Whichever Girl Scout figured this out should give a guest lecture in the business school.