UNC community has mixed opinions on sexual assault modules

Lachgar said he felt the module was lacking depth when he took it.

“I thought it wasn’t as challenging as it should have been. You could answer the questions without going through them,” Lachgar said. “I believe it was too short. It wasn’t as comprehensive as I would have liked it to be.”

Students have a 45-day window to complete the new annual online training module for Title IX Awareness and Violence Prevention.

After a pilot program that began in the 2014 summer and extended into the fall semester finished up, the mandatory training module was released to students Jan. 15.

One goal of the training is to educate students about the definitions built into the University’s new policy on prohibited discrimination, harassment and related misconduct.

Madelyn Frumkin, co-chairwoman of Project Dinah, an interpersonal violence prevention organization, said she fully supports the training.

“I think it’s a great thing for students to do, faculty as well, just making sure they get information out there that everyone has basic resources and a basic understanding to build on,” she said.

Christi Hurt, assistant vice chancellor for student affairs, spearheaded the creation of the new policy. She said she believes the training is important to ensure a safe and secure environment as well as provide information about resources on campus.

“We are not trying to be unreasonable about this,” Hurt said. “This is an opportunity we want everyone to have.”

Individuals who fail to complete the module within 45 days of its release will have holds put on their course registration until it is completed.

Junior Tara O’Connor said she doesn’t know much about the training but is supportive of UNC making an effort to raise awareness of sexual assault.

“By defining it to students, at least it brings some awareness to what the issue is and how to potentially avoid it,” she said.

Although Hurt has received primarily positive feedback about the training, some students have expressed concern about the demands on students’ time.

“We really want to respect that, but at the same time, I can’t think of anything more valuable to student health and safety than making sure that folks have the opportunity to have the training,” she said.

Students still have other reservations about the training. Freshman Irina Trenkova said she fails to see the point of the module and worries people will rush through it without much extra thought.

Hurt said she believes the module is only the beginning.

“It is one part of a larger puzzle,” Hurt said. “I don’t think one mechanism of any sort is going to be the magic bullet when it comes to making sure that we are eliminating sexual violence.”