UNC wrestling coach CD Mock gets 100th victory

As a former North Carolina wrestler, Mock had a decorated national championship-winning career, including over 100 victories in his playing days.

But now, 33 years later, he has accomplished that feat yet again — this time as a coach.

Mock reached the triple digit plateau as a coach Sunday in Pittsburgh, earning his 100th dual victory in a decisive win over Lock Haven at the Pitt Duals.

Despite dropping a hard-fought dual to the No. 9 Pittsburgh Panthers (7-2, 2-0) 21-15, the Tar Heels (3-3, 0-1) responded with a resounding 24-9 win over Lock Haven University (2-7).

“We wrestled hard today and really wanted to beat a tough Pittsburgh team,” Mock said. “We can still take a lot out of that dual and the win against Lock Haven because our guys continued to show their potential, even though we weren’t competing at full strength.”

Returning to his alma mater in 2001 to work as an assistant to longtime coach Bill Lam, Mock has picked up right where his predecessor left off after Lam retired and Mock became the head coach in 2002.

“I haven’t really given it much thought on what it means to win 100 duals,” Mock said. “I try and take them one at a time.”

While Mock was focused on the matter at hand, his wrestlers were aware of the magnitude of one more win.

Redshirt sophomore Joey Ward admitted that some athletes realized Mock could get his 100th win during the closing matches of the Lock Haven dual after UNC held a substantial lead.

“There were definitely a couple of whispers going on during the end of the last dual about Coach getting his 100th win,” Ward said. “It was great to be a part of it, and we’re all proud of him for his accomplishment.”

Although the players were happy to get Mock his 100th victory, there was still some disappointment they could not have done it against Pittsburgh.

“It does feel good to be able to get the win and do it for Coach Mock,” said redshirt freshman Ethan Ramos. “It would’ve been better if we were able to beat Pitt and get an ACC win at the same time.”

Whether Mock looks at each dual individually or holistically, he still cherishes the fact that he is able to coach at his alma mater.

“It’s obviously special to be able to coach at the place that I was once a player, and I’m happy to have been here as long as I have,” he said. “I don’t really know what my record is, but I am excited to continue to work with our guys and accomplish more in the future.”