Wi-Fi headache at UNC an Apple problem

Information Technology Services said Yosemite, Apple’s latest operating system, is causing Wi-Fi issues at UNC.

ITS said Yosemite, which was released three months ago, has caused users to drop their internet connection.

“I would say that probably 80 percent of those that report their network dropping or bouncing have Yosemite on their Macs,” said Jim Gogan, director of networking systems for ITS.

Apple has released several updates to fix the problem, but none have worked so far, including the latest beta-tested by the University of Michigan, Gogan said. Apple believes the issue is related to hardware.

“Our best estimate is that there are approximately 1,000 ResNet users with the Yosemite operating system installed,” Gogan said in an email.

ITS is telling users not to upgrade to Yosemite for now — but Gogan said this solution is risky.

“Many of the laptop and tablet operating system upgrades that come out are meant to fix security flaws — people being able to break into your computer remotely,” Gogan said. “We want to make sure we are able to give people a stable Wi-Fi experience, but not at the expense of their personal computer security.”

Kate Hash, spokeswoman for ITS, said UNC is not alone in its Wi-Fi struggle.

“We really listen to what our peer institutions are doing and try to troubleshoot with other universities on how to deal with that problem,” Hash said.

All UNC buildings and residence halls received full Wi-Fi coverage in May 2014, said ResNet manager Chris Williams.

Williams said other issues with Wi-Fi are usually related to personal hot-spots.

“On a given day, in a 24 hour period, we see between 400 and 800 devices that are broadcasting across campus,” Williams said. “(The devices) include everything from wireless printers, hot-spots and a few personal routers. It can even include vehicles driving down the street.”

ResNet student employee Isaiah Stackleather said he has even had issues with Wi-FI caused by an HP wireless printer in Morrison Residence Hall.

“There are issues of rogue devices all over campus,” Stackleather said. “That’s where it gets tricky, because we have to go find them.”

Williams said one personal hot-spot can take out an entire floor of Wi-Fi in a residence hall, or a class of 200 students.

“The joke we tell professors is: ‘Look for the one person in the room who doesn’t look unhappy. There’s the hot-spot.’”