Advertising executive lectures on science and storytelling

BBDO Worldwide president and CEO Andrew Robertson gives a lecture titled "The Immediate Future" Monday afternoon in Carroll Hall.

As he spoke to a room crowded with journalism students Monday afternoon, Robertson — who is the president and CEO of BBDO Worldwide — said the company takes a scientific approach to its ads.

Dopamine is a highly addictive chemical associated with confidence and success. And Robertson said he seeks to mirror the effects of dopamine with advertising.

Advertisers at BBDO have found that emotions drive action, so they seek to increase the production of the chemicals that will bring about a positive experience to the viewer base.

“Oxytocin is the molecule of trust and love,” Robertson said. “Oxytocin sells.”

BBDO has found that its most successful ads engage both the dopaminergic system and the oxytocin system, Robertson said.

He said campaigns built on emotion created stronger brands and businesses. BBDO combines science and storytelling to get the emotional response that is needed for successful ads.

Senior Emma vanBree was surprised at how scientific everything was.

“It boils down to a chemical reaction,” she said. “The end result is known; (BBDO) just needs to figure out how to get there.”

Robertson has been CEO of BBDO Worldwide since 2004 and serves as the brains behind commercial advertisements that have been viewed millions of times around the globe.

Robertson, who has a degree in economics from City University London, said he learned a lot from Charles Dickens.

“Nobody was expecting me to talk about Charles Dickens,” he said. “Dickens was probably one of the greatest storytellers of all time.”

Robertson said he and his company understand that a successful ad can tell a story.

“We did some work to find out what the key elements of great storytelling were for (Dickens), but they applied just as much ... to the immediate future of advertising,” he said.

The storytelling aspect centers the focus of the ad on an unforgettable character, who Robertson said makes it memorable.

UNC senior Chris Krolak said he came to see Robertson speak because he respects his work.

The company worked on the Snickers “You’re Not You When You’re Hungry” campaign ads, the AT&T “It’s not complicated” commercials and the Bud Light “#UpForWhatever” campaign.

“It’s not about doing it wrong. It’s about doing it right,” said Robertson. “If it was easy, everyone would do it.”