Annual Tunnel of Oppression moves to Union

Students view photos and writing about topics including gender, body image and race at the Student Union on Tuesday.

Tunnel of Oppression, hosted by the Residence Hall Association in the Student Union, invites students, faculty and community members every spring to experience an artistic expression of social issues. Visitors are immersed in topics ranging from race to gender in student-performed skits and monologues.

This year, Tunnel of Oppression has partnered with Carolina Cupboard, a group that aims to provide food to those in need. Visitors are encouraged to bring a canned good to donate to the organization.

Puja Patel, co-chairwoman of the planning committee, said performing the stories helped make them accessible and stick in participants’ minds.

“It brings the topic to life,” Patel said. “The stories you hear on campus become blurred together.”

After visiting, each group is taken aside to talk for 30 minutes about what they experienced with the guidance of a trained staff member. Patel said the reflection time helps encourage visitors to check out resources on campus, such as the Campus Y.

Nick Hatcher, the stage manager for the event, said they encourage the actors to draw from their own experiences when working with the scripts. Being able to incorporate their own spin makes the performances feel more real and expands the reach of their message. Even if a story was performed last year, a new actor’s take on it may put the performance in an altogether different light, he said.

This is the first year that Tunnel of Oppression will be held in the Student Union. Rick Bradley, the associate director of the Department of Housing and Residential Education, said the move will foster a greater sense of community because it will be easier for students to attend.

“It was more in our interest for access issues, so the event could be more campus centered,” Bradley said.

Bradley said the RHA wanted the message of Tunnel of Oppression to reach a wider audience, and hosting the tunnel in a residence hall made some think they were not able to come. Hosting the tunnel in Cobb Residence Hall’s basement made it inaccessible for those with disabilities as well, while the Union gives easy access to all.

Ajene Robinson-Burris, the acting coordinator for Tunnel of Oppression, said she believes performing arts are an important form of activism.

She said that the arts connect everyone, whether through music, movies or writing. And the project continues with the hope of creating connections.

“This is a more subtle way of raising your voice,” Robinson-Burris said. “Tunnel opens up a lot of doors.”