At Duke, Muslim students discuss moving on from Chapel Hill shooting

The event, called “Building our Community: Next Steps in Healing,” drew about two dozen students and involved two presentations — one on the importance of engaging with other communities to combat prejudice and another on committing to public service to carry on the legacies of Deah Shaddy Barakat, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha.

Gary Glass, associate director for outreach and developmental programming at Duke’s counseling and psychological services, spoke first to the students about the importance of forming alliances with less familiar groups, potentially including atheists and humanists.

Common ground exists among dissimilar communities, he said. He cited a form students fill out when coming to CAPS, which asks about their religious or spiritual identity and how important it is to them.

“There are increasingly a number of students who identify as atheist and it’s very important to them,” Glass said. “Even a commonality of ‘my beliefs are very important to me’ may be a place of alliance.”

He asked the group why they think solidarity is important. Survival, protection and peace, students answered.

“The ideas of solidarity and alliances — they emerge from a different kind of relationship,” he said. “How can we approach exploring solidarity and creating alliances? By trusting a shared sense of meaning that we have in what it is that we’re pursuing.”

Leena El-Sadek, a Duke senior, then spoke to the group about various community service projects that students could get involved in.

Barakat, Yusor Abu-Salha and Razan Abu-Salha were dedicated to helping refugees from the Middle East, El-Sadek said, and the Triangle area has the largest refugee population in North Carolina.

“Imagine yourself in their shoes — you’re new to this school, you’re new to this state, you’re new to this city. You don’t know the language, you don’t know the customs, you don’t know the laws and you’re literally thrown into it with very, very little support,” she said.

“Take your position as a student ... and amplify that times 100, because that’s exactly what they’re facing.”

Many local organizations that help refugees are Christian and missionary in nature, El-Sadek said, and it can create tension that leads Muslims to not seek help.

El-Sadek helped found Supporting Women’s Action in 2013, which sponsors several projects supporting refugees — including weekly English language classes and a small business venture that offers eyebrow threading services.

Rasheed Alhadi, vice president of Duke’s MSA, said he’s felt inspired to get more involved in community service since the tragedy.

“We can be sad, we can miss them, and that is important,” he said. “But in the end, the real way to value what they have done, and to show that you really respect what they have done, is to continue their legacy.”

Service projects, he said, will help him and other students engage with different faith communities.

“In order for me to want other people to understand my own faith, I need to be willing as a Muslim to understand and accept and appreciate everyone else’s faith — and differences in general.”