Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Flyleaf, Cat’s Cradle host rock legend Kim Gordon

Kim Gordon, the co-founder of Sonic Youth, will be speaking at Cat’s Cradle with Jon Wurster on Wednesday about her memoir. Courtesy of Emilly Homonoff. 

The talk is one of many events that Cat’s Cradle and Flyleaf Books have teamed up to host.

The event — a conversation between Gordon and her friend, drummer Jon Wurster — will give audience members the chance to ask their own questions.

“To read her memoir and to understand what she’s done with her life and with her career is to understand today’s culture a little better,” said Flyleaf Books owner Jamie Fiocco.

“She’s just an icon of culture.”

Gordon is the founder of the widely influential rock band Sonic Youth. She has toured with Nirvana, curated her own world-renowned clothing line.

“Girl in a Band” provides readers with vignettes about the rock world Gordon changed and dominated for nearly three decades.

The book also touches on personal topics, including marriage, motherhood, feminism and Gordon’s time spent in the ’80s and ’90s in New York City.

Although the outspoken feminist has described herself as aloof and opaque, “Girl in a Band” has proven to be an outlet for Gordon’s opinions on other musicians.

Gordon has recently made headlines and news feeds across the country for her controversial statements on Lana Del Rey, Courtney Love and Thurston Moore, her ex-husband.

The event is also a partial benefit for Girls Rock N.C., a nonprofit organization that hosts summer camps for young girls and women who are interested in learning how to write and perform songs and creatively express themselves.

Since its birth 10 years ago, the program has held over 40 programs for girls in the Triangle Area.

“The goal is for them to become engaged and confident community members. We have this mantra that focuses on three Cs: creativity, confidence and collaboration,” said Girl Rocks N.C. co-founder and 1992 UNC graduate Beth Turner.

Emily Homonoff, assistant publicist for HarperCollins Publishers, said UNC students should attend the talk to be exposed to a rock icon.

“Part of the beauty of ‘Girl in a Band’ is introducing Kim to a new generation,” she said.

“It’ll be a phenomenal opportunity to familiarize college students with Kim’s outstanding career.”

Gordon’s chronicles about the world of rock ‘n’ roll reveal her to be an independent role model — something this event’s organizers are hoping will resonate with others.

“Kim Gordon is a legend. She is a living legend,” Turner said.