Habitat for Humanity closing in on its fundraising goal

Saturday's 5K pushed the group $2,600 to its $25,00 goal

Not everyone begins Valentine’s Day by holding hands with someone special.

For one particular group of runners, the perfect Valentine’s Day began with running the Racing the Roof 5K for UNC's chapter of Habitat for Humanity. 

The organization is aiming to raise $25,000 to build one house in Honduras this year. 

So far, the group has raised $17,000 — with $2,600 from Saturday's race, said Tim Barry, the organizer of the Racing the Roof 5K. 

Junior Gayatri Rathod, who ran in the race, said she thinks the run is a great event because Habitat for Humanity raises money to build houses for people in need in Honduras.

“I always feel like if you’re lucky enough to be on the side where you can help other people or do what you can to give to other people, then why not go ahead and do it?” Rathod said.

The run took place on Saturday and started in front of the Old Well at 9 a.m. 

“Three more fundraisers are coming up, and we’re waiting on some other donations that are supposed to come, but haven’t made it yet," Barry said. "We will reach our goal," 

Freshman Andre Ceccotti also ran in the Racing the Roof 5K. He said he, luckily, enjoys running and has two English friends who are passionate about charity work. One of them works for Habitat for Humanity in England. 

“I see them doing a lot," Ceccotti said. “So for me, just going to a 5K is me enjoying running, me doing something for my friends and me doing something for Habitat for Humanity.”

Barry said the UNC Habitat for Humanity team held a similar event and went to Honduras in 2014. 

The team chose to go to the same place because that experience was so positive, and the Habitat for Humanity chapter in Honduras was well organized, Barry said. 

“It would be a good thing for all UNC students to experience," he said. "So I want to be able to help other students to have that same experience.” 

Barry said this year, the team will work on a different home in Honduras, using the money they’ve raised to pay for the construction work.