Lenoir serves black history-themed dinner

A placard at each station described the significance of each meal to this year’s theme, “A Century of Black Life, History and Culture.”

The food ranged from a tomato and olive fontina pizza — reportedly President Barack Obama’s favorite pizza — to chicken and waffles, which were a staple of late-night jazz clubs during the Harlem Renaissance in the early 1900s.

Treyaun Fulton, co-chairman of BSM’s Black History Month Committee, said he hoped the food would serve to start good conversations about black history.

“Our end goal is really to educate and make people more knowledgeable about black history,” Fulton said.

He said BSM hoped to show students the real historical significance and origin of these meals.

The theme also featured a trivia table run by BSM that quizzed students on facts from black history. Students who answered questions correctly won CDS gear, including key chains and t-shirts.

Asia Gandy, a freshman member of BSM working at the trivia table, said she felt it was important for students to respect those who paved the way for this generation. Gandy said it is important to know black history because it is a big part of American history.

“There have been many people of color and not coming to this table and getting a great learning experience,” Gandy said.

Sophomore Taryn Miner said she had not been aware of the dinner prior to arriving at Lenoir on Wednesday but found the placards and their history interesting.

Sophomore Norman Archer said he was happy to be eating one of his favorite foods — chicken and waffles.

“I think it’s a good way to incorporate Black History Month into the University,” Archer said.

Scott Myers, director of food and vending, said CDS reaches out to BSM each year and has hosted a Black History Month station each Wednesday in February leading up to the themed dinner.

“We partner with many different student organizations to promote the dining program and provide food and an atmosphere conducive to higher learning,” Myers said.

“Food offers many opportunities (where) we can host different organizations to center on a topic that involves food.”

Myers said there were no extra costs associated with the dinner, and he expected a larger turnout than normal for the dinner due to the promotional efforts of BSM and CDS.

Fulton, a member of the Student Dining Board, served as the main point of contact between BSM and CDS, Myers said.

He said the themed dinner served as a wrap up and celebration of BSM’s Black History Month events, which also included a trivia quiz bowl.