Letter: ?Granny Pods would not hurt affordability

Carrboro Aldermen Randee Haven-O’Donnell and Bethany Chaney show a troubling misunderstanding of microeconomics in their reaction to the concept of Granny Pods.

The two local officials fear that adding housing options to the local market will increase the price of housing. According to basic economic principles, larger supply with constant demand yields lower prices, i.e., increased affordability of housing.

Granny Pods can also make housing more affordable for residents because rent from the pods would offset the costs to property owners of rising property values and subsequent tax burdens. These dwellings can complement neighborhood design, and the Board of Aldermen has the authority design standards that protect local identity.

I firmly disagree with Aldermen Haven-O’Donnell and Chaney in their unfounded concerns over accessory dwellings. I support zoning that allows for many accessory dwelling types, which make housing more affordable.

The increase in housing density they produce improves the efficiency of local infrastructure and transit systems. Most importantly, they don’t require extensive redevelopment that alters the character of the local community.

John Anagnost

Graduate Student

City and Regional Planning