Paraplegic dogs get helping paw

NC State University's Dr. Natasha Olby works with a colleage at the University's College of Veterinary Medicine. Photo by Marc Hall/NC State University

The team, led by Dr. Natasha Olby, veterinary neurosurgeon and neuroscience professor at N.C. State, began studying paraplegic dogs nearly four years ago, testing whether two experimental drugs improve movement.

The dogs in the study had suffered some kind of devastating injury to the back, such as a fracture or herniated disk and were paralyzed in their hind legs. The results of the study revealed small but significant improvements in the dogs’ ability to take steps, she said.

“We saw that the owners could pick out when their dogs were on the drug or not, even though (the study) was blinded because they did see changes in their pet’s movements and, in some cases, in the tail wag,” she said.

While there were some dogs that showed no response, more than half showed small improvements and three actually regained almost full use of their hind legs for extended periods of time, she said.

“Our question has become, ‘Why did these dogs have such good responses while five dogs had no response, and what can we understand about what’s going on in their spinal cord that will help us to develop better, more targeted treatments in the future?’” she said.

While most canine spinal injuries are treatable through surgery, other options include physical rehabilitation at facilities like the CareFirst Animal Hospital at Glenwood.

CareFirst’s rehabilitation clinic, operated by Dr. Ruth West, is equipped with underwater treadmills, balance balls and wobble boards, all aimed at helping injured pets regain movement.

“Everything you would see in a human facility, we have here,” West said.

“Your hear that phrase, ‘If you don’t use it, you lose it’ — well, if they have any kind of movement left, any kind, of muscles that are working, we want to keep those as strong as possible,” she said.

And for those dogs who can’t be treated by experimental drugs, surgery or physical therapy, companies such as Doggon’ Wheels create custom wheelchairs.

For paraplegic dogs that are abandoned or brought to shelters, the situation is optimistic, said Jennifer Federico, animal services director of the Wake County Animal Center.

A dachshund named Jilly was paralyzed in her hind legs, and she was brought to the Wake County shelter more than three years ago as part of an intervention program.

Wake County does not typically handle paraplegic animals and takes them in on a case-by-case basis, said Federico. Before the shelter could even decide on Jilly, a staff member adopted her.

“It takes a very special person to adopt a dog like that,” West said.

“When you see a little dachshund that’s paralyzed, and he’s running around in his wheelchair, there’s just something that tugs at your heartstrings.”