Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha: ‘She was loving, she was kind’

Photo courtesy of the Abu-Salha family.

Photo courtesy of the Abu-Salha family.

“She would spend hours in her design studio trying to compete with deadlines,” Hindi said. “And then she would go home on the weekends, wake up early in the morning and go to downtown Raleigh and provide food for people who were homeless.”

Those who knew Razan, who was killed in a shooting Tuesday night, described her as innocent and kind. Friends gathered at a vigil in the Pit on Wednesday to remember her for her creative spirit and aspirations.

A sophomore at N.C. State University, the 19-year-old was studying architecture and environmental design.

“She was so creative, she did so many awesome things,” Maryam Ahmed said.

“Photography, artistry ... She had that eye. She saw things with such a beautiful angle.”

She had a popular blog on which she wrote about her love of photography and art.

Yasmine Inaya, a friend of Razan’s, said she saw Razan at least twice a week, and they texted each other every day.

“Razan was a girl of many talents. She had a smile that could light a whole room, and her compassion and strength showed us the importance of giving back,” Inaya said. “She was the greatest friend I could ever ask for. She was loving, she was kind and she was always assuring.”

Razan was a graphic designer for the Triangle chapter of United Muslim Relief, a charity organization that works in both the U.S. and Syria.

Ismail Ibrahim said Razan was in the process of brainstorming new ways to help eradicate poverty — because that was her passion. She was planning to start doing resume-building workshops with people who were unemployed so they’d be able to find jobs.

He said she had a dream of teaching art to people who were homeless so that they could sell their work and earn enough money to make a living.

Ibrahim said she was also the head of a monthly event that gathered as a group to distribute donated food to people in need in Raleigh.

Deema Al-Ghandour, another of Razan’s best friends, said she met Razan back in first grade and remembers playing with her on the monkey bars every day.

“In middle school and high school, when you saw her smile, everyone would smile because Razan was in the room,” Al-Ghandour said.

“We would make silly dance videos together, have sleepovers and eat French toast.”

More in Public Safety