Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

TOPO Back Bar throws it back

The bar is launching a series of themed nights, which will include throwback cocktails, snacks, party favors and music from the ‘90s and early ‘00s.

TOPO owner Scott Maitland said he and event coordinator Molly Drake routinely come up with new ideas for the restaurant.

“So just like trivia night was something that, you know, a staff member came up with many years ago, Molly came up with throwback night,” he said.

Back Bar is located under Top of the Hill restaurant and Bar and is connected to the Franklin Street establishment.

The idea of ThrowBack Bar was born during homecoming weekend this year, Drake said.

“When we did the alumni mixer for homecoming weekend this year, we had a DJ in Back Bar and a band in the Great Room. And the band in the Great Room was playing music geared toward like ‘80s, ‘70s and ‘80s and the DJ in Back Bar was playing like early 2000 stuff,” she said. “It went on really well, and it was a cool idea.”

The idea also came from the Throwback Thursday photo trend on Facebook, Maitland said.

“Because Facebook does Throwback Thursday, we thought, ‘Hey, we should do ThrowBack Bar,’” he said. “And people are already doing throwbacks on Thursday, we’re just about to leverage it quite well.”

Maitland said he was already excited about a new themed night.

“People should come and raise the roof,” he said.

Drake said she has received feedback from TOPO’s staff but hasn’t heard responses from residents or students yet. She said she hopes people will be excited.

“It’s been really positive. Our staff are at least already excited to come and bring their friends,” she said.

Back Bar already has trivia nights on Wednesdays and Science Cafe on the first Wednesday of the month, Maitland said.

Spencer Baily, first-year masters student in the TransAtlantic Masters Program, said he goes to the Back Bar twice a month.

“I like it because it’s just a bar that has things you can do like darts and pool. So I enjoy that aspect,” he said.

Baily said he hadn’t yet heard about ThrowBack Bar, but he would be interested in attending.

“I’ll probably be willing to try out,” he said.

He said he thought the bar would get a good response from students.

Drake said she would also like to interact with student groups to help drive business.

Maitland said he didn’t know what he would do in the future for the restaurant and bar because they’re always coming up with new ideas.

“So right now, we focus on making Throwback Thursday a great success and also keep our existing programming at a high level,” he said.