UNC business class raises money for Agora employee's car

Waiting in the parking lot was a class of business students, a UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School lecturer and a new car — her new car.

Mumin said she was filled with joy the moment she realized what was going on.

“I am overwhelmed,” she said. “This is like — I cannot put it into words.”

The car was donated to Mumin after the Community Empowerment Fund (CEF) and Jim Kitchen’s entrepreneurship and business planning class partnered to raise money to purchase her a car.

“I tasked these students to raise a profit for a purpose,” Kitchen said.

Mumin, a survivor of domestic violence, said the kindness that these students have shown her will make a big difference in both her and her family’s lives.

“CEF has restored my faith in humanity,” she said.

Aaron Scarboro, director of the 1789 Venture Lab, which houses UNC startups, said Mumin’s excitement was one of a kind.

“I do not think I have ever seen someone so happy,” Scarboro said.

When the project began, Kitchen contacted the Community Empowerment Fund, which helped him pick a recipient for the car.

Kitchen said Mumin was chosen because of her desire to turn her life around.

“She really transformed both professionally and personally,” Kitchen said.

Junior Jackson Rand, a student in Kitchen’s class, said that to ensure the car was purchased, they raised money in all kinds of ways, including a fraternity tailgate and a television raffle.

Walter Sturdivant Jr., sales and leasing consultant for Crown Honda of Southpoint, where Mumin’s 1997 Honda Civic was bought, was on site to watch the car be given away.

When selling the car, Sturdivant said Crown Honda did its best to make sure the project was successful.

“It was purchased for far less than it’s worth,” he said. “We tried to price the car so it would be affordable for this project.”

For Sturdivant, helping local community members is simply a part of good business practices.

“We wanted to participate,” he said. “If you’re doing business with the community, you want to help the community.”

Maggie West, program coordinator for CEF, said more people can help community members with transportation needs.

She said a local company called Wheels4Hope works to fix used cars to be given to people in need.

Mumin, after seeing her new car and all the work the class had done, said she was left in awe.

“I am humbled,” she said.