UVa. defense had UNC seeing double

Kennedy Meeks (3) is double teamed by Darion Atkins (5) and Anthony Gill (13) during the second half. Meeks scored 14 points Monday night.

These two plays from midway through the second half of the No. 12 North Carolina men’s basketball team’s 75-64 loss to No. 3 Virginia on Monday sum up the frustration caused by the Cavaliers’ unique approach to a simple concept of defending: double-teaming.

Typically, teams bring a guard down low to provide extra pressure to an opposing big man. This leaves an open man on the perimeter and a presumably smaller defender for the post player to pass over.

Don’t expect to see this method from UVa. The Cavaliers instead double-team in the painted area with two post players. It’s peculiar, frustrating at times even.

“Our way, it’s a blue-collar way,” said Virginia coach Tony Bennett.

Kennedy Meeks’ body language on back-to-back possessions with about 10 minutes left in Monday’s game illustrated the double-team irritation.

The sophomore forward caught the ball on the left block. Before he could make a move, two defenders towered in his path. Meeks attempted to squeeze between the duo of defenders but lost the ball as he went up, credited as a missed shot.

Next possession. Back inside to Meeks. They weren’t going to fool him again. He caught the ball in the post, and before the second defender could fully slide over, Meeks made a quick pass out of the trap. Turnover — the ball stolen by a UVa. guard. Meeks’ plan disrupted by the double-team. He returned to the end of the court, shaking his head in frustration.

The UVa. post-to-post double-team held Meeks to 11 points to go along with six turnovers. It’s the same defensive scheme that allowed freshman Duke center Jahlil Okafor to score only 10 points with five turnovers on Saturday.

“You gotta pin your ears back and go,” Bennett told his post players.

Junior UNC forward Brice Johnson found some holes in UVa.’s defense, finishing the night with 14 points — yet just four came in the second half when the double-teams really swarmed.

He spoke with caution after the loss, as if to warn future big men of UVa.’s defense.

“You make a quick move, or you get it out. Don’t try to score over the double team,” he said.

Coach Roy Williams’ biggest criticism of the way UNC handled the double-teams involved his team’s 13 turnovers.

“I think that if you’re strong with the ball — tough-minded — you’re not gonna throw the damn thing away,” he said.

The six turnovers from Meeks, who had a 101-degree fever Monday morning, were a career-high.

Minutes after the turnover that caused him to shake his head, he got the ball in the post again. He sliced his way to the basket before falling to the ground.

Sitting on the hardwood, Meeks looked up to see two extended arms ready to help him up, but they didn’t belong to his teammates.

UVa.’s Darion Atkins and Justin Anderson lent the helping hands. They’d brought the double-team yet again. Just like they did all night long.