Wake County school confronts opposition to class books

A Wake County elementary school is facing opposition from conservative groups for teaching two books that they say contain age-inappropriate material on the Black Panthers, police brutality and illegal immigration. 

Bob Luebke, senior policy analyst at the right-leaning Civitas Insitute, wrote in a blog post that the books "One Crazy Summer" and "Esperanza Rising" should not be taught in a class of highly impressionable fourth graders. He said although school officials repeatedly said the texts are appropriate for children on the “cusp” of adolescence, children who are four years from being a teenager do not fit in this category. 

Matt Ellinwood, education analyst at the left-leaning N.C. Justice Center, said to limit books based on personal beliefs is worrisome. 

“We want to expose children to a lot of different things, and teachers are in the best place to determine and decide what is best for the children," he said.

Lisa Luten, spokeswoman for the Wake County Public School System, said the books were not required reading at Highcroft Drive Elementary School — students were divided into groups where each group was assigned to read and discuss a different book.

Although the books were not required, all children participated, she said.

“It’s like, if your teacher tells you to read something, you do it,” she said. 

The school district doesn't have records of each opposition made to books, Luten said.

"The idea of banned books is something that's been around for a long time," she said.

She said parents are allowed to object to any classroom material and request an alternate assignment. Luten said the school itself has not received any complaints or notice from parents. 

“What is interesting is that this opposition was not made by a parent — it’s hard to address the issue when it is not coming from a parent,” she said.

Debra Atwater, coordinator of 21st century learning for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, said parents objecting to materials can request those materials to be removed from use for their child by submitting a “Request for Reconsideration of Materials” form to the school principal. 

The form asks about why the item was brought to the parent’s attention, if they are representing themselves or an organization, their specific concerns and what they would like done with the material — along with alternative activities they would suggest.

“While input from the community is sought, the (CHCCS Board of Education) believes professional educators are in the best position to determine whether a particular instructional material is appropriate for the age and maturity of students and for the subject matter being taught,” Atwater said in an email.

Luebke wrote in his post that he thinks the public response of school officials to the controversy so far does not build trust.

He said there are discrepancies between the statements of Tanner Gamble, principal of Highcroft Drive Elementary School; information listed in a parent newsletter distributed by teachers to parents of fourth-grade students; and a Quarter Four Book Club Assessment Form.

Luebke said a good way to rebuild trust is to provide all parents with access to all the books and materials used in the classroom by making them available on a searchable website.

“Let’s remember, the schools work for the parents. Not the other way around,” he said.