Cartoonist Kallaugher won’t shy from controversy

Kevin Kallagugher, an editorial cartoonist at the Economist, spoke to students and faculty about freedom of expression Monday evening at the Freedom Forum.

Kevin Kallaugher, an editorial cartoonist for The Economist magazine and The Baltimore Sun, spoke about the importance of political cartooning after the attacks on Charlie Hebdo’s offices in Paris. Kallaugher knew three of the cartoonists killed by Islamic extremists after the publication printed an offensive depiction of the prophet Muhammad.

Kallaugher said cartooning is a negative art form because it makes fun of people in power, using humor as a vehicle for an often-serious message.

“All of us can imagine that if an artist has the ability to take your face, pull it apart and reassemble it under our control, that’s a pretty powerful person,” Kallaugher said.

He said he has caricatured almost every prominent world leader over the course of his career. His image of the former prime minister of India, Indira Gandhi, was confiscated and burned at Indian airports when it appeared on the front page of The Economist.

“It goes straight to the vanity of powerful people,” he said.

Kallaugher drew cartoons as he spoke, illustrating his creative process when depicting subjects and choosing symbols.

“We deal with sensitive subjects and, even in the U.S., we get ourselves in hot water all the time,” he said. “Death threats do happen, even for minor things. There are just a lot of excitable people around. There’s something special about what cartoons do. They just upset people in a magical way.”

Tom Linden, a journalism professor, said he has always loved political cartoons.

“I think these guys are incredibly courageous to be satirizing people in positions of authority, power and looking at issues and ideas that carry so much emotional weight for some people,” Linden said.

Kristen Patrow, a graduate student, studies the laws of visual images. She said Kallaugher’s talk revealed the tension in First Amendment law between protected and unprotected material.

“There are ethical considerations one makes, and there are legal decisions you make,” she said. “The law is like a baseline behavior. You can do pretty bad stuff and get away with it under the First Amendment, but then there are ethical considerations as well.”

Kallaugher said though the law might protect sexist, racist or otherwise insensitive cartoons, he chooses not to draw them for professional and ethical reasons.

“My job is to throw a little rotten tomato at the powerful, but on that day in Paris, they got back at us and maybe got the upper hand. But when they did, one thing they weren’t able to do is to stop everything,” Kallaugher said. “They couldn’t kill laughter. In fact, they tried hard. They did everything at their disposal, and maybe at the end of the day we got the last laugh.”