Chapel Hill Town Council approves affordable housing fund

The unanimous decision will allocate money to four priority areas in town.

The council unanimously approved the Housing Advisory Board’s recommendations on how to use the newly created fund. Money for affordable housing will be allocated towards one of the four priority project areas — land acquisition, rental subsidy and development, homeownership development and assistance and future development planning.

When it budgeted for the fiscal 2014-15 year, the town council allocated $688,395 to be used for affordable housing. The town has already reserved $200,000 from this allocation to support the new Northside Neighbor Initiative, which was rolled out earlier this month.

Sarah Vinas, Chapel Hill housing and community planner, said this initiative would spark progress toward creating more affordable housing in the area.

“The Affordable Housing Development Reserve establishes the process and parameters for the funding,” she said.

In accordance with the reserve, the council discussed the new proposed ways to produce affordable housing in Chapel Hill while reflecting on progress made so far.

Anita Badrock, a spokeswoman for Community Home Trust, an affordable housing nonprofit, said over 300 families and 568 people have benefitted from the Affordable Housing Program since its inception.

Robert Reda, president of the Habitat for Humanity’s board of directors, asked that the council continue to move quickly on taking new affordable housing measures.

“The direction (they) have gone in the last year in the decision (they’ve) made to compliment and support affordable housing is commendable, and everyone in this community thanks (them) for that,” Reda said.

Jamie Rohe, homeless programs coordinator for Orange County, echoed Reda’s gratitude toward the council, but acknowledged that Chapel Hill’s work is far from finished.

“What I see with the people I collaborate with in the homelessness field is that the lack of affordable houses to rent is creating homelessness and is prolonging homelessness.” Rohe said.

Town council members said their goals are to develop new, affordable places for residents of different backgrounds and to nurture the community.

Chapel Hill Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt said his vision for the town includes having less people on the streets and more living in affordable homes.

“This is huge,” he said.