Column: Uncle Sam says zinc is food

Clark Cunningham is a senior biochemistry and biology major from Chapel Hill.

Whether to promote longevity or prevent nuisances like colds or allergies, dietary supplements are widely used in this country. More than half of American adults use at least one dietary supplement, supporting a $32 billion industry that’s still growing.

Their popularity, however, depends on their existence in a legal gray area, allowing them to avoid the rigorous testing required of other drugs while still making medical claims. Consumers should be wary of supplements and seek information to guard themselves against harmful or ineffective products.

In a case of cynical semantics, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA) classifies these products as “foods” rather than “drugs.” Rather than make manufacturers demonstrate the safety and efficacy of their products, the burden of proof falls on the Food and Drug Administration to prove a product is unsafe. Combined with the FDA’s limited resources, this creates ideal conditions for shady supplements to flood the market.

In the place of clinical trials, the DSHEA merely requires that manufacturers self-regulate by not marketing unsafe products or making dishonest claims. Supplements are also required to contain the following disclaimer next to their intended purpose: “This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.” Such a flaccid warning ignores the truth about dietary supplements — manufacturers are making medical claims, and consumers take supplements expecting health benefits — not because they’re hungry for zinc.

On the contrary, some supplements are even harmful — they could interact with other medicines or have toxic side effects. Between 2004 and 2012, just over half of all Class I drug recalls were dietary supplements. In the current reactive model, the FDA can only pull a harmful supplement from the market after enough patients have fallen ill and reported it. The customer is the lab rat.

Other supplements might simply be ineffective. Profits motivate companies to stretch the truth just enough so as not to incur the wrath of Uncle Sam. This often takes the form of descriptors like “natural” and “herbal” that evoke feelings of well-being without providing substance. This deception has consequences beyond petty larceny: Patients taking ineffective supplements might eschew genuine medical care, resulting in further illness or even death.

To be sure, many dietary supplements are safe and effective. But rather than taking manufacturers on their word, supplements should be viewed through the same critical lens so often applied to large pharmaceutical companies. One excellent resource for this is MedlinePlus from the National Institutes of Health, which provides comprehensive medical evaluation of commonly taken supplements. And physicians should be consulted before making any medical decisions. These approaches can supplement your knowledge, improve your health and prevent highway robbery.