Director leaves Inter-Faith Council for health

After just eight months in the position, Elizabeth Waugh-Duford has left her post at the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service.

The council runs the only homeless shelters in Orange County. HomeStart is a shelter for women and children, and Community House is an emergency shelter for men. The residential services director is responsible for both shelters and works with community partners on a daily basis.

Waugh-Duford, the council’s former residential services director, stepped down for health reasons. Waugh-Duford was replaced by Stephani Kilpatrick, who began her work at IFC as an intern in 2008.

“Leaving is not something I wanted and not something the organization wanted, but it’s what I need to do for my health and my family,” Waugh-Duford said.

John Dorward, executive director of the IFC, said Waugh-Duford will be missed.

“She’s got great boundaries, and she really cares about the people that we’re working with,” he said. “Trying to get them back on their feet and back into independent living.”

Kilpatrick said she has become attached to the council in her time working there.

“I developed a passion for this population and this agency, so I’m really glad to be able to step up into a bigger role,” she said.

Kilpatrick previously worked as a social worker at both the women and children’s shelter and the men’s shelter.

“I’m hoping that what I can bring is a good balance between employees’ perspectives, because I’ve been an employee of both shelters, and at the same time be a resident advocate because I am trained as a social worker,” she said.

During its residential services transition, the IFC is also working to rent out space in its administrative building in Carrboro at 110 W. Main St. after two long-term tenants moved out. The council rents space to other non-profits in Carrboro.

Dorward said the space is ideal for nonprofits because it offers reasonable rent, and the organization sees many of the same clients potential renters might.

Along with finding new nonprofit tenants, the council’s next big project will be opening a new men’s shelter in August. It will be a transitional facility rather than an emergency one, Waugh-Duford said. Waugh-Duford will work part time for the group for another week or two while she finishes a new policy manual outlining the transitional program, she said.

Kilpatrick said she has worked with Waugh-Duford since June.

“I’m excited about my position, but I’m really sad to see Elizabeth go,” Kilpatrick said. “She’s done so many good things for us in the short amount of time that she’s been here.”