Freshmen shine in loss to Davidson

All three starting freshmen position players had multi-hit games Tuesday afternoon.

Pitching struggles continued for the No. 18 North Carolina baseball team Tuesday night in its 12-11 loss to Davidson. Defensive miscues continued to plague the team as well.

But in the midst of a six-run comeback effort that fell just one run short in the bottom of the ninth inning, there were a few positives as well. 

Namely in a trio of freshman performances.

First up, the leadoff hitter, Brian Walker. A walk-on from Raleigh who hit over .400 during his high school career at Millbrook and graduated as the school's all-time hits leader. A player who wasn't even on Coach Mike Fox's radar until the end of his senior year.

"He's one of those kinda neat stories where we just heard about a kid from Millbrook," Fox said. "Somebody called and said, 'Hey there's a young man in Raleigh...'"

After going to watch Miller workout, Fox decided that he might be able to have an impact with the Tar Heel baseball program.

And 20 games into the 2015 season, he has done just that, leading the team with a .450 batting average in 40 at-bats while working his way into the first spot of the UNC lineup. 

Even with his success, though, he's acknowledged the difference in the levels of competition, while downplaying his track record as a high-schooler. 

"It's a completely different ballgame here. The pitching's way better," he said after his 4-for-5 day, which included a walk.  "I mean everyone was the best hitter at their high school, so it's just humbling to get here and get the experience I've had. It's just been amazing so far. "

With sophomore shortstop Wood Myers suffering a broken left fibula during last week's 13-2 loss to Coastal Carolina, Miller's continued production near the top of the Tar Heel lineup will be critical. 

And speaking of the shortstop position, there's Logan Warmoth. One of just three players, and the only freshman, to start all of UNC's 20 games so far. Warmoth made the shift from third base to shortstop after Myers went down, and his defense has impressed since the change.

That shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

"I feel good at short, I've played there my whole life," Warmoth said after a flawless day in the field. "At the beginning of the year, third was a change for me. So now it's just going back to home, really, at shortstop."

And while he's finding his comfort zone in the field, the same might also be said of his play offensively. 

Warmoth hit his first collegiate home run in the fourth inning against the Wildcats, when North Carolina was down 10-0, and came just a few feet shy of a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth. 

After going 3-for-6 during Tuesday night's game, Warmoth is hitting .284 on the season. But it's the defense that sets him apart.

"He's really played well there, since we've put him there," Fox said. "He's got a great first step, if you just watch him. And I think that's key to being a good middle infielder is that first step. And he's got a good accurate arm, and he throws it. 

"He's not scared. He's solidified our infield defense for the most part."

Even after Miller and Warmoth, freshman infielder Zack Gahagan also had a two-hit game that included a double, two runs and four RBI. With sophomore catcher/first baseman Adrian Chacon dealing with a back issue, Gahagan has seen more time at first and has made the most of it.

He's hitting .333 in 48 at-bats and has the second-most RBI on the team.

Warmoth, who is Gahagan's roommate, now looks back to their conversations before the season started. Before they proved they could be difference makers on a nationally ranked college baseball team. 

"During the summer and in the fall we talked about, 'Hey, what if we both actually have a chance to play a lot here as freshmen,'" he said. 

Well, now they are doing just that. 

"That's pretty cool," Warmoth said with a grin.