Letter: ​Hillel is not complicit in oppression

The recent accusations against Israel, UNC Hillel and Israel Fest in a letter to the editor (“Students shouldn’t celebrate Israel,” March 20) are both inaccurate and harmful.

The author uses one-sided political rhetoric — “systemic violence,” “theft,” “oppression” — to attack Israel, painting an absurdly oversimplified picture of a complex region. It would be equally inaccurate and damaging to use such biased, incendiary language about Palestinians.

To suggest that Hillel “plays an active role in the unjust oppression of the Palestinian people” is outrageous. Hillel is open to nuanced discussion of the conflict, welcoming opinions from across the spectrum. 

The author fails to provide any reasonable criticism of Hillel’s Birthright Israel trips beyond a name that irks him. Hillel should not be accused of supporting colonialist oppression, which in itself is a hateful opinion that lacks historical context and evidence.

Finally, Israel Fest is an educational event celebrating Israeli culture; it is not a political forum. It includes Israeli music and dancing, free Mediterranean food, information about LGBTQ rights in Israel and will feature Artists 4 Israel, an organization that uses art to advocate for peace.

Anyone whose knowledge of Israel is limited to its conflict with the Palestinians should educate themselves about the country and its people before making ignorant, unjustified accusations.

Israel Fest is a great place to start that learning process. I encourage everyone to stop by the Pit on Thursday, March 26, between noon and 3 p.m. Rejection of an event that aims to educate about culture and advocate for peace is hateful and has no place at this school.

Rachel Schwab

Sophomore

Political science