Letter: Show support this week for farmworkers

Farmworkers feed the world, but their efforts and struggles are often taken for granted as we quite literally enjoy the fruits (and vegetables) of their labor in our daily lives.

For that reason, the Phi Chapter of Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/ Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc. will be celebrating National Farmworker Awareness Week from March 24 to March 31. We will be hosting a variety of events and partnering with a number of student organizations in order to honor the crucial contributions farmworkers make.

Throughout the week, we will hold a long-sleeved shirt drive. These shirts provide protection for farm workers from the sun, plants, pesticides and other health-threatening situations they face. Boxes are located in the following areas: Davis Library, the Undergraduate Library, the Student Union, Lenoir Dining Hall, Rams Head Dining Hall, the Student Recreation Center, Rams Head Recreation Center, SASB-North, the Carolina Latino/a Collaborative (CLC) and the Genome Science Building.

On Tuesday, March 24, we will be co-hosting an event with Students United for Immigrant Equality, “The Overlooked Realities of Cultivating a Dream”. We hope to provide insight into immigrant and farm workers’ experiences through personal testimonies and messages. The event is to take place from 7-8:30 p.m. in Union 3408.

On Wednesday, March 25, we will be joining forces with Hunger Lunch and SUIE for an interactive activity to reflect on what it takes for farm workers to harvest our produce. Don not forget to pick up a plate of food for only $4! We will be in the pit from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

On Thursday, March 26, we will be hosting a panel discussion on Laws and Health in the Fields: farmworker’s wage, housing, health, and child labor in the fields. The event will be held at the Carolina Latino/a Collaborative (Craige North) in room 144 at 7 p.m.

Lastly, on Monday, March 30, we will be screening the film “Food Chains” to learn about the oppressive conditions migrant farmworkers are put through in order to yield enough produce and make a living. We hope to see you in Union 3407 from 5-7 p.m.

Rosalie Rubio

Senior

Peace, war and defense, global studies