Opinion: Bradley Bethel’s effort to downplay scandal is misguided

A film dedicated to proving that UNC’s athletic-academic scandal was imagined by headline-hungry journalists is difficult to take seriously.

But Bradley Bethel, until recently a learning specialist with the University, has quit his job to write and produce a documentary on just that.

Bethel started a blog exclusively devoted to downplaying the seriousness of the UNC academic-athletic scandal, one which has cost the University millions of dollars, sullied its reputation, led to the departure of university employees and even threatened its accreditation.

Bethel’s Kickstarter for the documentary, to be entitled “Unverified: The Film,” has so far raised more than $140,000.

That is some serious financial heft for a delusional idea. Even the University, the institution with the least interest in prolonging the scandal, has admitted extensive wrongdoing and taken significant action in response to the revelations, not least of which was the extensive Wainstein report.

Journalists, of course, have professional pride and are eager to report a good story. But through all the years of his blogging, Bethel has failed to make a convincing case for fabrication. And the motives he’s ascribed to the whistleblowing activities of Mary Willingham, who recently settled a lawsuit with the University, don’t pass muster.

Please give your money to almost anything other than this embarrassment.