Orange County prepares residents to handle dangerous weather

This is Severe Weather Preparedness Week in North Carolina.

North Carolina's Severe Weather Preparedness Week, observed this week, aims to prepare residents for how to handle dangerous weather situations such as tornadoes.

Julia Jarema, spokeswoman for N.C. Emergency Management, said the state is focusing on tornadoes this week because the peak time for tornadoes occurs between March and May.

In 2014, the National Weather Service recorded 36 tornadoes that killed one resident and injured 34 others. These tornadoes caused $22 million in damages across the state.

Jarema said the preparedness week has been going on for at least 10 years.

“It’s a national movement to make sure that everyone knows what to do during severe weather,” she said.

Severe Weather Preparedness Week includes a statewide tornado drill today at 9:30 a.m. 

Kirby Saunders, Orange County emergency management coordinator, said he encourages all residents to not only participate in this drill, but to also practice tornado drills at home.

“Most tornadoes happen in the evening and at home,” he said. “We practice tornado drills at school and at businesses, but most tornadoes happen at home.”

Residents will be notified of the drill through an emergency alert broadcasted on television and the radio.

Saunders said it's important that residents know the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning. A watch means a tornado is possible and a warning means a tornado has been spotted.

Orange County also held Community Emergency Response Team training Tuesday, the first session of a nine week course that will teach residents how to respond to emergencies as a team. Those who are interested can sign up on the Orange County Emergency Services website. 

Saunders said the county is also working on an Orange County alert service that will notify residents of severe weather by email, phone call or text message. The county expects this system to be ready by April 30.

Carrboro Fire Chief Rusty Styons said Carrboro is using this week as a chance to have some dialogue about the town’s emergency operation center. 

Styons said the center is a place where officials from departments such as finance, public works, town management, police and fire come together and discuss how they will handle emergency situations, such as severe weather.

“When something bad happens people tend to run to the tip of the spear and start acting,” he said. “This center helps give some coordination and provides a more organized and cohesive way to handle an emergency.”

Styons said this week is about evaluating how prepared the town is for severe weather.

“Weather is the more common major disaster that we face,” he said. “Sometimes you lose focus and are caught off guard, but this week is about finding coordination on how to handle severe weather.”