Students celebrate the Persian new year, Nowruz

Hilda Tajalli said the Persian new year celebration of Nowruz is like Christmas for many Iranian-Americans like herself because they get money or gifts. 

But for Tajalli, who grew up in the Persian Cultural Society that her parents started in Greensboro, Nowruz means so much more than that.

Together with Sophie Mohajerani, her co-president of UNC’s Persian Cultural Society, Tajalli has planned UNC’s own Nowruz celebration. The festivities — which include dance performances, poetry readings and a kabob dinner — will take place tonight.

There will also be a traditional Haft-Seen — a table usually decorated with seven symbolic items all beginning with the letter ‘s.’ 

“When the time changes — the year changes — you’re supposed to sit around the table with your family, and everybody kisses each other,” Tajalli said. “You’re supposed to drink a certain type of juice that cleanses your body and prepares yourself for the new year. There’s a lot of symbolism between the start of new year’s and the end of new year’s.”

Although Nowruz has a lot to do with ancient Zoroastrian beliefs, some of which are still practiced in Iran today, Tajalli said the celebration is more of a cultural event than a religious one.

“We call ourselves Persian because we go back to Persian culture,” she said. “People in Kazakhstan, India and Iran, even in Dublin, celebrate Nowruz because people that are coming from Iranian descent are all over the world.”

Shahla Adel, Asian studies professor and sponsor of the Persian Cultural Society, said Nowruz — also called “new day” — always begins on the first day of spring in harmony with the rebirth of nature.

“It just brings so much joy and happiness to people," Adel said. "Even this year, a celebration was conducted at the White House by the First Lady.”

Mohajerani said she hoped people from all over the Triangle would come celebrate the 3,000-year-old tradition with the Persian Cultural Society. She said they tried to target the whole community with the celebration, not just Chapel Hill.

Besides the food, she said she is most excited about the two new dances the Persian Dance Team will be performing at the celebration.

“I love to dance, and I’ve met some of my best friends just by joining the Persian Dance Team,” she said.

Mohajerani said UNC’s Nowruz celebration is especially important to her because she usually isn’t able to go home to celebrate with her family.

“The fact that we’re having it here and having a big celebration and my family can come up for it means a lot to me,” she said. “Bringing together my friends and my family makes it so special. That’s my favorite part — the people I get to spend the day with.”