Tim Scott impresses at UNC Pro Day

Former UNC football player Tim Scott rests during Tuesday’s Pro Day. He tied with Roy Smith for the best 40-yard dash time.

For the past three months, Jeter’s son — former North Carolina football player Tim Scott — has been in Mississippi training, anxiously waiting to wow NFL scouts at UNC’s Pro Day and improve his chances of being selected in the NFL draft.

“His idea of making it to the NFL was that he always felt like he was the man of the family, and he just felt like, ‘I have to do this for my family,’” Jeter said.

“But I told him he’s got to do it for him. He has to enjoy each step and do it for himself.”

And, on Tuesday, that opportunity finally came. Scott came one step closer to achieving the dream he’s had since he started playing Pop Warner.

Coaches, reporters, family members and current and former teammates dotted the Navy Field sidelines Tuesday morning and watched as Scott and nine other Tar Heels tried to impress the 30-plus NFL scouts in attendance during a variety of workouts.

“It was pretty much a job interview. This is what my life plan on being on,” said defensive tackle Ethan Farmer. “I want to try to finish my career out in football. I want to go to the next level, and today I think I proved it.”

The morning started at the Kenan Football Center, where each player’s height and weight were measured before completing bench press reps at 225 pounds, the broad jump and the vertical jump.

Scott, who recorded a team-high 78 tackles during the 2014-15 season, separated himself from the rest of the group with a 9-foot-8 broad jump and vertical jump of 33.5 inches.

“I’m not going to lie, when we first started, I felt like I was going to throw up I was so nervous — because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity,” said Scott, who was a four-year starter at cornerback and safety. “But I felt like I definitely showed up for it.”

The players then moved outside for the 40-yard dash, shuffle drills and positional drills. Current and former UNC football players — including 2014 first-round draft pick Eric Ebron and Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle James Hurst — motivated the participants during their drills.

In his second and final 40-yard dash, some of Scott’s teammates timed his sprint with their iPhones and could be heard saying, “That’s crazy,” as he clocked in with an unofficial time of 4.55 seconds — which tied former wide receiver Roy Smith for the day’s best.

Scott, as well as many of the other players, recalled standing on the sidelines the past three years watching Pro Day — fueling their desire to one day take the field and prove themselves.

“I always told myself when I had this chance, I was going to make sure I did great at it,” Scott said.

“I promised a lot of people I’ll make sure I’ll live up to their expectations.”

And with his mother in the stands, he did just that.