UNC softball uses power game to defeat UNC-Greensboro

Six at-bats. Six runs scored. And two innings later, after the Tar Heels' sixth home run, their opponents were begging for mercy.

After crushing 21 home runs in the nine games since the start of Spring Break, the North Carolina softball team continued its dominating power performance Tuesday, driving in 15 runs in the first three innings and closing out UNC-Greensboro 15-0 via mercy rule.

“We’ve always told our players (to) just keep putting your foot on the accelerator and don’t let it off,” said Coach Donna Papa, who saw four players clear the fence. “I was really proud of the way that they never let off the gas pedal.”

Junior Kristen Brown – whose four homers last week earned her ACC Player of the Week honors – fueled the UNC assault, knocking in a three-run homer just five pitches into the contest.

And after the Tar Heels hit two straight singles, sophomore Kendra Lynch smacked the ball over the center-field wall for the second three-run shot of the first inning.

“They just did a great job from the first batter,” Papa said. “(Brown) got the home run, and we just kept going.

“She’s definitely in a zone right now.”

Brown refused to let up in her next at-bat, going long yet again for her 10th home run on the year – putting her atop the team leaderboard.

“Honestly, I don’t even know how many home runs I hit,” said the junior slugger. “I just try to come out and do what I can do.”

The Spartans knew what Brown could do, intentionally walking her in the third in the hopes of keeping her from crossing home plate.

But even that wasn’t good enough, as Brown would later score on senior Jenna Kelly’s second longball of the afternoon.

“I feel like I’m at home plate cheering on the girls every single at-bat,” said Brown of her teammates’ home run prowess. “We just continued doing what we know how to do.”

UNC might have relied on its trademark power game, but even the players themselves weren’t prepared for the extent of Tuesday’s offensive outbreak.

“Maybe not 15 runs, but we do hit pretty well,” said freshman pitcher Kaylee Carlson, amused by her teammates’ strong outing. “The first inning, six runs – it was a surprise.”

But the one player who was hardly surprised was none other than Brown, who anticipates even greater production in the near future.

“Probably, yeah,” said a confident Brown. “Just wait.”