UNC women's golf takes seventh place in LSU Tiger Classic

The North Carolina women’s golf team flew down to Louisiana this past weekend to play in the LSU Tiger Classic at The University Club, a par-72 course that is 6,251 yards long.

The Tar Heels finished seventh overall out of 16 teams, and the Tigers finished in first place on the weekend with a score of 879.

Sophomore Leslie Cloots led the way for UNC, finishing in a three-way tie for fourth on the weekend. She shot 2-over-par in the 54-hole event with a score of 218.

“During the year, I have made really good progress and my work is paying off,” Cloots said. “Today I was really disappointed. I really wanted to go low, but then I made bogey, double, double. It was close, and it only encourages me to play better next time.”

Coach Jan Mann was pleased with the team’s attitude on the weekend and said she saw the team making progress. Mann was proud of her team playing on a tough course with some windy conditions, citing some areas for improvement in the team’s play.

“As much as we work on it, they get focused on score, and it gets them a little tight,” Mann said. “We’ve got to continue to have them stay in the moment and stay with the process, but that’s a hard thing to do. And they’re learning it.”

Senior Maia Schechter tied for 69th, shooting a score of 241. Junior Elizabeth Mallett individually competed and finished tied for 77th with a score of 245.

LSU led the way in the tournament, taking the title after shooting 302 as a team in the final round on Sunday. LSU's Elise Bradley beat Mississippi State's Rica Tse in a two-hole playoff to take the individual title after being tied at 214 at the end of regulation. LSU's Madelene Sagstrom took third place, one spot and two strokes ahead of Cloots. 

Freshman Lexi Harkins finished the weekend strongly with a 5-over-par score in the final round to follow her 4-under round on Saturday. Harkins tied for 37th place, shooting a 232 on the weekend.

“I think I had a pretty good tournament,” Harkins said. “We learned that we can all play well and play well together and place pretty high.”