15 different Tar Heels set records in track and field

Seven ran in the event, and four of them — seniors Annie LeHardy and Karley Rempel, redshirt senior Lianne Farber, and redshirt junior Lizzy Whelan — were projected to have top-12 times in the event by weekend’s end.

“Some girls are a little frustrated and think they could’ve run faster, but I think since me and Annie ran so well and Lizzy wasn’t too far behind, and Karley had a (personal record), it just makes them confident that the training is working and that they’re gonna be right there in a meet or two,” Farber said.

Farber and LeHardy now rank No. 3 and No. 4 on UNC’s all-time best list in the event, with both setting personal records. They finished the race in fourth and sixth places, crossing the line at 4:13.16 and 4:13.76, respectively.

“Our school record is so crazy fast that it’s such an honor to even be on the top 5,” Farber said. “I think I was No. 4 beforehand, but I passed a girl that I ran with my freshman and sophomore year that I really looked up to, so being able to take her place and like carry on her legacy and just be inspiration for all of the younger people means a lot.”

Out of the 88 women who finished the race, six of the seven UNC runners finished in the top 40, with freshmen Caroline Alcorta and Josette Norris — two runners who look up to talented seniors like Farber and LeHardy — setting personal bests and finishing in 29th and 39th.

Because it was such a successful meet, Farber said the team environment was the best it had been all season.

“It was kind of the first time that our whole team was together, all sitting in the tent, all cheering for every event,” she said. “I think ACCs and regionals is gonna be like that, so it was good practice to come together as a team.”

Coach Harlis Meaders said for both the men’s and women’s team, it was a great weekend on the field and track that gives them confidence moving into the postseason, as the ACC Championships are less than a month away.

On the men’s side, sophomore Ceo Ways paced the team with a first-place finish in the 200-meter sprint, running a 20.75, although he said he wasn’t satisfied with his time.

“Where I am in my training right now, I’m at the point where I should be running as fast as I want to be running,” Ways said. “But I mean I drove up that day, so I guess everything considered it was a good time, but I expected to run a little faster.”

As is characteristic of UNC’s team, the men dominated the 400-meter hurdle race. Junior RJ Alowonle, freshman Kenny Selmon and redshirt junior Javonte Lipsey placed second, third and fourth, respectively. Selmon set a new personal best, and fellow freshman Femi Animashaun took 13th.

“For us to be in this environment at this point in the year and be able to hold our own, I was very excited for the kids,” Meaders said. “It’s about that time where we’ll start seeing some solid performances, and we had a lot of those this weekend.”