CHispA, Sangam host fake wedding to celebrate Indian and Latino culture

Sophomore psychology major Alopi Modi (right) applies henna on freshman public health major Simran Khadka Wednesday afternoon.

But wedding bells rang yesterday on the steps of South Building as Patel and Delvillar jokingly tied the knot in a cross-cultural celebration. The event — co-sponsored by Sangam, UNC’s largest South Asian awareness organization, and CHispA, the Carolina Hispanic Association — was aimed at jointly celebrating Indian and Latino culture. The ceremony featured traditional food, dress, and wedding practices from both cultures.

Patel and Delvillar are not the first “couple” to get married on the steps of South — according to Sangam cultural co-chairwoman Navina Venugopal, the organization has been putting on mock weddings for several years, partnering with a different cultural organization each time.

Sangam cultural co-chairwoman Saumya Goel thinks the rotating partnership is one of the best facets of the event.

“I love that we incorporate all these different cultures,” Goel said. “The traditions vary every year, and so every year it’s a different wedding. No two crowds ever see quite the same thing.”

The variety of cultures featured speaks to the ultimate purpose of the wedding — a celebration of cultural diversity.

“I think mock wedding is about showing people a blending of traditions while celebrating differences,” Venugopal said. “Sangam is primarily about Indian and South Asian cultures, but through mock wedding we can see so many different cultures that we aren’t familiar with. That’s a really special thing to celebrate.”

And the word celebrate is no exaggeration — past weddings have involved the jubilant procession of the baraat, the bridegroom’s wedding party in a traditional Indian wedding, through the Pit to begin the ceremony.

“When we had the wedding in the Pit, random people would walk by and ask about the wedding and the traditions, and hopefully they learned something new,” Venugopal said.

Delvillar wasn’t just learning a new culture — she was learning about her new fiancee.

“It was awesome — he’s a really cool guy, and going through the process of our engagement and wedding was fun and easy,” Delvillar said. “We had a great dedication to a mutual cause, so it worked out very harmoniously, and we had a wonderful time.”

Delvillar, a member of CHispA, and Patel, a member of Sangam, are hopefully another couple in a long line of happy marriages presented by Sangam. For Venugopal, the party can always get bigger.

“A few years ago we actually brought a horse to the ceremony, and though we can’t do that anymore, I hope we continue to think of new ways to improve the event,” Venugopal said.

“I just hope it stays an intimate enough thing that people can still walk by, get curious, and come join us for a bit.”