Column: Scientist: embrace the liberal arts

Clark Cunningham is a senior biochemistry and biology major from Chapel Hill.

Due to the hours of commitment required to be successful in science classes, it can be easy for science majors to develop apathy toward the liberal arts.

Sometimes it seems like our campus is divided along an imaginary line running from the Genome Science Building to Phillips Hall, with science majors crossing only to fulfill general education requirements.

Four years at UNC tell me this is a mistake; we should actively engage with the liberal arts in order to further our own disciplines and appreciate aspects of life beyond the empirical.

First, a shout out to the journalists. Science does not exist in a vacuum; it depends on extensive communication between researchers and the general public.

The continued progress of science and existence of public research universities like UNC depends on a popular appreciation of how both basic and applied research are responsible investments of tax dollars. When scientists study and practice journalism and other forms of communication, we facilitate these critical functions.

We also benefit from having an understanding of ethics, philosophy and politics to gather and apply knowledge in a socially responsible manner. From the Tuskegee Institute’s syphilis studies to the widespread usage of DDT, our past is littered with failures in this regard.

Questions of social responsibility will only multiply as we continue to learn more, and we must be proactive to understand the implications of our new discoveries.

A knowledge of history and social studies reminds us that despite our emphasis on objectivity, science remains a human endeavor and can sometimes reflect our personal biases. Our efforts to make science a more diverse and inclusive institution depend on our comprehension of social issues pervasive in society at large.

Lastly and most importantly, the liberal arts help us appreciate life outside of the lab. From the fine arts to music and literature, much of what it means to be human can’t be found by looking through a microscope. While the scientific method remains the undisputed champion for discovering knowledge about the natural world, there remain many facets of our existence that science can’t explain.

Science tells us how we see colors — from the photons of light reflecting off an object to the photoreceptors in our eyes — but it can’t tell us why a Carolina Blue sky is so beautiful. Science tells us how we hear music — from the patterns of compression in the air to the vibrations in our ears — but it can’t tell us why singing the alma mater alongside thousands of fellow Tar Heels tugs at the heartstrings.

This recognition is enshrined in the motto of our university: Lux Libertas — “light and liberty.” By studying the liberal arts alongside the sciences, we see the world in a brighter light and are free to experience all that life has to offer. Thanks for reading, hark the sound.