Columnist urges students to write more often

Peggy Noonan, celebrated author and Wall Street Journal columnist, spoke at the 2015 Park Lecture in Carroll Hall on Thursday.

Noonan, celebrated author and Wall Street Journal columnist, spoke at the 2015 Park Lecture at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication Thursday.

Susan King, dean of the journalism school, introduced Noonan to the crowd as not just another speaker — but a friend.

“It is really a night to bring to all of you students, a leader of this field,” King said. “To me this is no ordinary guest, to me this is not just an introduction. I want you to know that. I am a fan.”

Noonan, who worked as a speechwriter for Presidents Ronald Regan and George H.W. Bush, coined the infamous phrase “Read my lips” for Bush’s campaign.

Noonan said President Bush, whom she still keeps in regular contact with, wished her eighth book would have as much success as Millie’s Book, a best-seller “written” by the Bush’s dog.

“I’d walk in those great rooms, and I’d see Millie now and then and see Millie curled in the corner with her little pups, and I’d always go over and say hello to the little bitch,” she said, garnering laughs from the packed auditorium.

Noonan also commented on the political atmosphere that she calls “announce-o-rama” because of the number of Republican politicians who have recently announced their ambitions for the presidency.

“On the Republican side, what you’re going to be having is a big, hellacious fight for the next 12 months — maybe the next 13 or 14 months,” she said.

Noonan told students to be receptive to unexpected gifts in their careers.

“Don’t be afraid as you go forward to show a wholly appropriate humility. You’re young—you can learn from the old. You can learn from the accomplished when they’re genuine enough to teach you. You can learn also from the incompetent. Ask everyone to critique, criticize and help,” Noonan said.

Freshman Larissa Wood said she appreciated the way that Noonan talked about politicians as other humans.

“I thought it was interesting how her advice, to look for unexpected gifts and to take it from everyone and I thought that, while I don’t agree with her view on politics, it’s a good way to look at politics and to have a more optimistic view,” Wood said.

Noonan’s own unexpected gift was having her work edited by Charles Osgood and contemporaries of Edward R. Murrow.

“He started covering that war in the 1930s from Germany and then primarily from London. He had fabulous, just fabulous, radio scripts. They started with those famous words, ‘this is London,’” Noonan said.

“Being a writer is what I wanted to be. It’s also what I’m just proud of.”