Dogs, owners share a walk and a beer in weekend parade

Zoey Atkins walks her dog Guinness around the outside of BeerStudy before the start of the dog parade on Sunday afternoon.

But there are fewer places for humans and dogs to come together, sip a cold beverage and relax — but they were able to do all three at this weekend’s dog parade.

Dog owners and their furry companions gathered at Beer Study on Sunday afternoon for what owner JD Schlick called a “dog parade.”

After meeting at the beer shop, the crowd walked down East Main Street to Steel String Craft Brewery, where owners could enjoy a pint of seasonal brew with their four-legged friends at their feet.

“We wanted to do something that our customers would enjoy,” Schlick said in an email.

“Everyone seems to be doing jogging clubs, so we just thought, let’s do dog walks.”

Will Isley, the brew czar of Steel String Craft Brewery, said he thought it would be fun to get area dog lovers together for the event.

“We thought it would be a fun way to interact between two businesses,” he said.

Beer Study is completely dog friendly, meaning dogs can enter the building. Steel String Craft Brewery has a dog-friendly patio.

Many made the event a family outing.

“Once my wife and daughter heard about it, they decided they had to come,” said Chapel Hill resident Needham Atkins.

His family brought their two dogs, Loki and Guinness.

Victor D’Amato, who went to the parade with his wife and two children, said they decided to go because his daughter loves dogs.

“And we like beer,” he said.

Isley said he thinks more businesses should become dog-friendly, but he understands why some people might not want to be around dogs.

“It just makes a really nice weekend to be able to walk your dog up to a place and hang out,” he said.

Many of the parade participants said they’d also like to see local businesses become more dog friendly.

“It’s always good to have dogs — provided people can be reasonable and bring in dogs that are actually well socialized and can behave themselves around people and other dogs,” Atkins said.

His wife, Rebecca Atkins, said it’s fun to be able to take their dogs along on family outings.

“They like to be included in what we do,” she said.

Zoe Atkins would be one thrilled 3-year-old if more businesses became dog friendly.

When she isn’t pulling her dog, Guinness, around by his leash, she said she likes to pat and play with the other dogs at Beer Study.

D’Amato said it couldn’t hurt to have more dog-friendly businesses in the area.

“I think a lot of people have dogs and like their dogs and want to do stuff with their dogs,” he said.

“There’s a novelty to it — to just be able to get out with your dog on a nice afternoon and share your love of beer or whatever it happens to be.”