Family celebrates life of NC historian Powell

William Powell left an impact at UNC in the classroom and library.

William Powell 

William Powell 

Sonny Powell knew how influential his grandfather was in the state of North Carolina, but even he is occasionally surprised at how much his grandfather's work factors into his life. 

Sonny Powell, who is a middle school history teacher in Concord and the grandson of the late William Powell, said his grandfather's legacy will live on through his books and his former students. 

“His legacy at UNC would be the lives of the 6,000 plus students he was honored to teach,” Sonny Powell said. 

"(My class) used a book that my grandfather was referenced in many times. I was also able to have my students use his books ... for any projects I assigned for the class."

Legendary North Carolina historian and former UNC history professor William Powell died Friday at 95 years old. 

William Powell never earned a Ph.D. Instead, he worked his way up from the University library's North Carolina Collection to become a professor in the history department and the author of a number of influential books. 

He transferred to UNC his junior year of college and graduated in the class of 1940.

“He was only (at UNC) his last two years but always loved that place,” said his wife, Virginia Powell.

After obtaining his bachelor’s degree, William Powell enlisted in the army. He fought in Japan and the Philippines during World War II. 

When the war ended, he returned to UNC and earned a master’s degree in library science in 1947.

Once he completed his education, he worked alongside curators at the University’s North Carolina Collection. He met his future wife there, and they married in 1952. 

His hard work with the collection secured him a position in the history department.

“He had the most dedicated work ethic ... If he was not in his office, he was in the library, where a scholar should be," said Roger Lotchin, history professor emeritus and William Powell's former colleague. 

William Powell started teaching North Carolina history in the UNC history department in 1972.

After 14 years of teaching, he retired to focus on researching and writing about North Carolina history. His published works explore North Carolina history, specializing in the 17th and 18th centuries. 

“He loved being able to shape students by allowing the history of their state to influence and change them,” Sonny Powell said.

His family remembered his personal connection to his students. 

“My dad said that almost any place we went in the state, he would recall a student who was born or lived there,” Sonny Powell said.

His grandson would even go on to use his grandfather’s books in his college history courses.

“My professor had me autograph the book — still not sure why,” Sonny Powell said. “I didn’t do anything to make the book.”

Lotchin said William Powell will be remembered as a legend in the North Carolina history community.

“Between his service to his country in World War II and his service to his state, he was a most outstanding American and son of the South,” Lotchin said.