Hunter Williams continues to shine in 1-0 rain-shortened win against High Point

UNC and High Point engage in rain delay fruit war

Hunter Williams continued his excellent form on the mound Tuesday night in North Carolina's 1-0 rain-shortened win against High Point. 

After a 47-minute lightning delay pushed back the opening pitch, Williams worked through six shutout innings — striking out seven Panthers and walking none, while scattering just three hits. 

With that six-inning effort, the game marks Williams' fourth-straight start where he has thrown six innings. What's more impressive, though, are the numbers that he has put up in those outings.

After some early season struggles, which included two starts that didn't last three innings, Williams turned his season around and hasn't looked back since. 

Following the High Point outing, Williams has the lowest ERA (1.14) on the team and is 4-1 in six starts. He has recorded 30 strikeouts and 15 walks while working predominantly off of a low-to-mid 90s four-seam fastball, and an 88-92 two-seamer. 

Despite not going the full nine innings, the win still goes into the books and moves the Tar Heels to 23-14 on the season. 

Alex Raburn and Korey Dunbar combined for back-to-back doubles to put UNC on the board in the bottom of the second inning, and with the combination of Williams and rain, that would be all the Tar Heels needed. 

***

Rain Delay Fun

If you missed the game — which is likely, considering the torrent of rainfall — here's what goes on during UNC rain delays:

Things started to escalate from there. 

And here is the view from the Tar Heel dugout, thanks to freshman right-hander J.B. Bukauskas, who has been just as good with the ball on the mound this season as he is with the camera.

The rain delay "festivities" ended with what appeared to be extensive negotiations between the two teams, a High Point player running around in a cardboard box and the swapping of managers. 

Awesome.